Cylinder Misfiring-HELP! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Cylinder Misfiring-HELP!

Greetings all,
Out of the blue, my truck started running like crap. I ran the codes and got P0360 or P1360, I forget which. Apparently the #6 cylinder is misfiring, which makes sense because it feel like it only running on 7 cylinders. Anyhow, I replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and it's still doing the same thing. The SES light is on and flashing. I thought for sure it would have cleared up after the tune-up. What else could be the culprit?!
Thanks for your help.

Mark [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 01:17 PM

Re: Cylinder Misfiring-HELP!

itscode number 306. are you sure you're getting spark to the cylinder. it sucks doing it, but you might want to shovk yourself to see for sure. another thing it could be is the fuel injector itself. no fuel = no firing of cylinder. could alsop be a compression issue i suppose.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 01:53 PM

or if you dont wanna shock yourself just take the plug wire off the spark plug (leave the plug in the clyinder) take another plug stick it on the wire and start your truck... then just look at the plug, you'll tell if its getting spark. I'd try this before shocking myself [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

HMMM, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't have fuel injection on my '96. I think I got the TBI...
So assumming there was no spark I would want to replace the coil right...but how could a bad coil be affecting only one cylinder. I'll have to check the compression this weekend, doh, that would be bad news eh
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:05 PM

88up trucks have fuel injection: 88-95 are TBI and '96up is CSFI. the coil would be screwing with every cylinder. but if it has a lot of miles anyway, it won't hurt.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 02:10 PM
Sierrapilot

When you said it's doing the same thing did you mean it's running like poop or it's still throwing a chevk engine light? If it's running good but still throwing the light then you need to reset your ECU. Find all the fuses for the ECU and pull them. On the new body style trucks there's three, in the box under the hood. I believe two 10 amp and a 15 amp. Not sure about the older trucks, but it's probably similar. Anyways...pull the fuses and wait 10-15 seconds, then reinstall them IN THE CORRECT POSITION! You'll have to give the ECU a minute to figure what's going on, about a 3-5 mile drive will tell you if that's what's wrong.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

yes, unfortunately it's still running like poop. I have tried not to drive it. I reset the SES light with my code scanner after the tune-up, but it came back on pretty quick. How bad would it be to drive on only 7 cylinders? Would I be harming anything? It's going to have to wait until the weekend before I can do anymore trouble shooting. Still hoping for any easy fix, any ideas [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Gracias,

Mark
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

are you serious ??????? i wouldnt even be starting it up! get it fixed ASAP
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 12:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have 1996 GMC K1500 Z71. I had to replace my fuel pump for hard starting a couple of months ago. A week ago after driving for about 4-5 miles my truck would bog down at 1700 RPM. I replaced the fuel filter thinking while replacing the fuel pump some dirt may have gotten in the system, no help. Next were the plug wires and the coil, still no help. If my truck bogs I can put it in neutral and the rpm's go up. Could the catalytic converter already be clogged (I have 95000 miles on the truck)? While I had the hard starting problem could the OBD computer reprogram for more gas and not reset (there is no SES light on)? Could the cap or rotor be fouled? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 12:34 PM
Can't Get Enough

I had the same thing happen to me except my code came up missfire on Cylinder 4. I replace the plugs and it took care of it.l To reset the check engine light I unhooked the battery over night. Re-check the plug on witchever cylinder it is that is missfiring. Does it look as if it has been sparking or not.

Laters, Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode