Grill swap questions C/k - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Grill swap questions C/k

I've done a search, and cannot find the info I need. I want to swap my current c/k 4 headlight grill grill for the work truck style (opposite of what most people want). Take a look at the pics: Black is like I have now, I want like on the red truck, not like on the green truck.

Can someone help me know on what models and years the grill I want came on? I cannot find the info. I need to find a truck with that grill to take it off. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1194607-80p all 3 grills.jpg (89.1 KB, 37 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 02:46 PM

Re: Grill swap questions C/k

Depending on the salvage yard you go to, most will be the style you have. So availablity may be an issue unless you find someone that wants to trade (theres probably a lot of work truck guys that didn't get the apperance package that would be interested) I think the swap to either the red truck on or the green truck one will be the same, just a different grill shell. You will have to change some wiring in the headlight/turn signal wires, because you have a dual head light system(high/low seperate), and you are switching to a single setup. As for how it will bolt on, you had to change core supports on the older (87 and back) trucks to switch between grills i think, but i don't think you should have to go into it on this truck.

My suggestion is go to a u-pick type yard where you can grab any bracket/harness that you think you could possibly need.

Just curious, why are you doing this swap?
And if you want to get rid of the old parts, i may be interested for the right price.....

The only "difficult" part may be the wiring, but with the right color codes and or harnesses, it should be a piece of cake. The physical grill part should be easy if you don't mind doing a little fab work for brackets etc.

And realize when i say fab, i mean like use metal straps or reshape shelving brackets or stuff like that. I don't mean fab as in "i'm gonna mill myself completely new parts all by myself" like some of the really smart ppl on this fourm can do........
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 04:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ALL GM GRILLS BOLT UP TO THE CORE SUPPORT
THERE IS ONLY ONE PART NUMBER FOR CORE SUPPORTS FROM 92-99
WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE DENALI & ESCALADE. SO THEREFORE
THE GRILLS WILL BOLT UP.
THERE IS A DIFFERENT WIRING HARNESS BETWEEN THE W/T & UPSCALE BUT IT PLUGS IN AT THE CORE SUPPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 02:25 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

I had a GMC work truck before I got my Silverado, and I think the grilles bolted up in the same places (same mounts). Like everyone else said, you'll need to hook up the headlights differently, and you'll probably have a spare wire where your corner light (that little 194 bulb) used to be. I don't think the work trucks have that light.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys!

dhcomp, I want to do the swap because I always liked the simple single headlight look. It looks a little cleaner to me personally. The chrome is a bit much. Besides, it's a bit different than 99% of the other Chevys out there.

The only unclear thing I will look at tonight is how the headlight assemblies attach. They attach not to the grill, but to what I am not sure yet.

I will keep the original parts in case I decide someday to switch back, but if I change my mind, I'll let you know.

My wife thinks there are much better things to spend my time on. She really doesn't understand.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 02:00 AM
MSF
Can't Get Enough

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
My wife thinks there are much better things to spend my time on. She really doesn't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's women for you (excluding our female members, Hi Shorts!). They just don't get the bond between a PERSON and their truck. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode