guess I might have plan now, that ive got some $$$ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

guess I might have plan now, that ive got some $$$

well not realy havn money is makn it harder

Ive decided building brackets is way to much work and time. 750 doesnt seem like that much money now.

Im working in utah startn next week for maybe a month or so , so Ill be headed to boyce to maybe grab d60. hmmmm but Im gona do alittle price weasleing and maybe try and get something for under 2500. doubt it. if not its off to the salvage yards. for ford axle. new or old. thats why I have to wait to get the brackets. not sure what axle Ill end up with.

think if decided on 4" deaver springs, blocks in the rear till I get my front springs figured out.

debateing between 36 12.5 tsl's or 38 13s there farly close in price and probly size. the 38s are probly only 1' taller. want to head down to a tire shop a tape a few before I buy.
hmmmmmmmm that brings me to steering, I dont have a clue there yet. yet.

then that brings back to wondering if 36s will blear with 6"s of lift and more than 2"s of suspesnion travel. hmmmmmmm blah

I just need to buy the junk and do it. its not like Im afraid to trim and custom fit a set of 38s under 6"s of lift wich is excackly what I want to do.

seems like this all I ever talk about on here but never do it, ahhhhhhh one of these days. Im teln ya [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 06:46 PM

Re: guess I might have plan now, that ive got some $$$

well well well...you finally got home huh? the brackets are sounding better and better (gee, i don't know why...maybe because i've been talking to you!) [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

go to ORUs site and they have pics of the axles and steering setups..more or less. i *think* ORD makes some steering setups, but don't quote me on that. anyway, you could fab something up, or purchase a steering setup already made.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 07:40 PM

Re: guess I might have plan now, that ive got some $$$

Well well well... The guy that bitched to more than anyone about buying an axle and not making my own brackets and running leaf springs is going to do the same thing... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anywho, I run 4" springs and thats it and clear 39.50's. Currently I can stuff the top of the tire to the fender flare and it stops but I know theres more up travel there... But the sheet metal stops me. But that equates to 11" of up travel at each corner and then I have about 20" of down travel due to the super high free arch of the springs.

I recomend Alcan springs. There quick and build them perfectly to your specs, I love my Alcans...

As for the axle, do you plan on a drivers or pass. side drop? Boyce does not have any 78-79 style ford axles in stock and don't expect any for a while, and they are about 3600 built with no locker. I was origionally going to buy mine from them till they told me they didn't have any... But they were willing to take my money and put me on a list [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

If you go with a Chevy 60 you lose the greatness of High Pinion but the price goes down in half and since you run a 465 you can get a 32 spline 205 and put behind it. Not sure if your truck has the course spline or the fine 32 spline output but you can get a new tailshaft.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: guess I might have plan now, that ive got some

not seeing no steering I like. thinkn Im gona keep everything above the springs. cause I know Ill bend it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

got yard full of tcases and trannies. hmmmmmmmm and 78 ford sitn there. but I thought i knew what 60 looked like, my guess I just havent seen one enough to know. its sitn therre. in all glory a rear sterling and pretty sure its an 8 lug d44.

its the camper special., dont know my fords well enough to fro sure what axle it is. plus it was cold yesterday when I looked at it. and I wasnt gona crawl under it and be dissapointed by the 44 stamper in the casting.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/ima.../dana60all.jpg

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

just tossed 50 serios flowmaster on my rig. its quiter but has difrent sound than the spintech with its higher pitched sound. more of the mellow deep sound. guess well see how long this one lasts. might go 70 serios wich I shoulda done instead of this but the muffler shop didnt have one, ohhhhh well tail pipe will probly need replaceing sometime next year anyways. rock are rubn big grooves un its under side.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 05:44 PM

ORD makes a nice high steer system, I'm however making my own...

I have the 70 series and like it, nice and quiet... When I was a youngin it was nice to have a loud truck but now it's annoying.

You don't know what king pins look like?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

hmmmmmmmmmmm 4 bolts and cap deal

yeah Ill be going quiter soon, clamped this one in just incase., my not havn a converter in front of the muffler is killing me. I think its gona take one hell of muffler to get it down to quite levels. I love quite motors like the new chevys. no show and all go.

the fords got the king pin.

what kinda rod are you gona use to make that highsteer. what ends. what knuckles. what arms. hmmmmmmmmm you got that mill right. is this a project for it. or you wusn out. knuckles arent cheap. you could probly machine you some arms farily easy.

if youve got lathe you could turn some pretty beefy stuff. one tie rod with a bulge in it on the passenger side and machine a taper in it for the drag ling. maybe turn the drag link out of axle stock. thats 4130 I think. hmmmmmm and the tie rod would be the same. ahhhhhhh wish I was back in highschool.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 12:35 PM

You don't need new knuckles on a 60 to run high steer or crossover.

I am making my own arms.

Tie rod will be 1.5" x .375" wall DOM tapped 7/8 x 18 each end for big TRE's.

And yes I will be making new 60 knuckles as well as another new product for the dana 60 and 14 bolts but can't tell anyone yet.

Solid bar sucks for tie rods...

Pass. Arm:

Drivers Arm:

Those are designed with 100% true ackerman angle for my truck, if other people want them from me they will be designed differently for each vehicle. T

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

hmmmmmmm cant tell no one.

your knuckles got be less than 300 a knuckle. or your.

I checked out ord and they have the steering kits, some pretty dang good prices. and thats for you 1.5 .375 stock.

id use solid for the tie rod and .375 for the drag ling if I was to make my own might work for me or it might not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode