Check Engine Light, P0430 catalyst efficency low. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Phazer

Check Engine Light, P0430 catalyst efficency low.

'96 Suburb 4x4 w/5.7. Anybody besides me been fighting this problem? I've cleared it 4-5 times. (Bank 2) Sometimes it comes on in a day, sometimes in a week. It always came on after a long highway drive until I changed both RH O2 sensors. Then it went about 45 miles and came on during intown driving. Be aware that this "can" be caused by an "upstream" problem. Doesn't mean it's a bad converter. Truck has 200,000 and runs like a top. No drivabilty problems at all. Gets 18 mpg highway..yadda yadda..yadda. Everybody I've talked to says this can be a real pain in the ass. Any history?

Ok...for all those who want to know or care. I put a new Y-pipe/converter on tonight. Come to find out the cat for the RH side (bank 2) was knocked out. To go along with my original suspesions, the exhaust always had a nice little "cackle" to it, and.....there was RTV on both "donut" seals and the rear flange. Instinct told me someone had been in there. Anyway..called the previous owner and his repair shop, of course they all claim ignorance of any idea on how "that" happened. What bugs me is why the MIL sometimes would not come on for a week. With OBDII, it should've come on within about 10 miles. Oh well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this repair keeps the light out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 02:57 AM

Re: Check Engine Light, P0430 catalyst efficency l

Heh, sorry about the partial post hijack, i didn't wanna start a new post for the same subject incase responses relate to both.

I'm having a check engine light come on too. Only in the last week or so, after being on the freeway doing 65-75 for 10 minutes or so, the service engine soon light comes on. It says on until I get off the freeway and slow down for a while. I've heard its emmissions related, but whats teh best approach to take? Ive got the 94 TBI 350. Oh and i just rolled over to 100k if that means anything. It recently smogged fine (after the guy reset the timing from the retarded state it was in).
THanks!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:07 PM

Re: Check Engine Light, P0430 catalyst efficency low.

Hijacker Darren, pull your codes. you can do it with a paperclip. jump the last two terminals on the top row to the very right on the data link connector. $50 says its EGR(code 32)..next best thing is your O2 sensor code.

Phazer, you might want to change out your cat. yeah, you're getting good mileage, but 200k is a lot, so it wouldn't hurt.

I got a stupid EGR that keeps coming up, and i swear, it reminds me of all these dang popups on this stupid site!!!! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:09 PM

Re: Check Engine Light, P0430 catalyst efficency low.

phazer, mine did the same thing last year. i replaced the headpipe and cats and now all is well. also did all the O2 sensors while i was in there. I'm not sure which it was but problem is solved.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 05:08 PM

I'll try and jump the codes the next time it comes on, it just normally goes off before i get a chance.......
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 05:35 PM

you can read the codes anytime. they get stored in memory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode