Master Cylinder - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Master Cylinder

Looks like I have sprung a leak or something. Me and my buddy installed new rotors/pads on the frontend of the truck back in late August before I headed to school. Did everything right, and they work great. Seems that the level of fluid is low. The lines that connect to the master cylinder have a bit of green color to it. What exactly is going on with the master cylinder? Should I replace it with a heavy duty one? Willys, where did you get yours again? I do hate the spungy brakes, but once again, it is a chevy. If anyone knows, what the deal is, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:55 AM

Re: Master Cylinder

I got mine from ORU but that one won't work for you. You have the stock front calipers and they need a quick take-up valve in the master cylinder, the uber cylinder I have does not have this. Just go to autozone and get a new one if it is indeed leaking. Try tightening the fittings?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 10:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere if your fluid is low. Search for the leak and replace whatever it is. I think the master cylinder doesnt generally leak. When its bad, your brakes just dont work very good. I just replaced mine last year. Then, last week I had to replace a caliper due to it locking up and burning my brake pads up. That caliper only lasted 5 years but luckily it and the brake pads have the lifetime warranty from autozone so no cost to me. Well, except the 2 broken c clamps and my dads vice(trying to compress a stuck caliper [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), and my rotor was worn down pretty good from the metal to metal. I think the new calipers helped out quite a bit with the spongy braking and they were only like $15 a piece I believe. -Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

I will take a look and see whats going on. When installing the new pads/rotors, the master cylinder was full to capacity on brake fluid. Anyways, I will try checking soon, but I have a couple huge tests this weekend and next week. Need to pass to get into the business school. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode