Torsion Bar Q's?????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 03:10 PM
race_boy

Torsion Bar Q\'s??????

I have a 1995 GMC 4x4 and need a little help. Can someone please tell me how do you remove the torsion bars from the crossmember? [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 03:46 PM

Re: Torsion Bar Q\'s??????

Unbolt the upper a-arm from the frame and the shock as well as the cv from the diff. Let the lower a-arm/spindle/shaft/upper a-arm droop all the way down letting it down with a floor jack slowly. Then unscrew the adjusting screws on the t-bar crossmember and then just pound them out.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 04:14 PM
race_boy

thanks for writing back but I dont under stand how you get the torsion bars out of the crossmember. I unbolted the adjustin screw but cant get it out of the crossmember. Any input really helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 04:41 PM

Just beat it forward. It will slide forward out of the crossmember while the other end slides into the a-arm farther. Once it is far enoughf forward to be out of the crossmember just pull it down below the crossmember and beat it back out of the a-arm and it's out.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 05:28 PM
Can't Get Enough

Isn't there a tool for those? I think it presses the porkchop up, so you can pull out the bolt and the plate that the adjusting bolt runs through. Then when you take the tool off, the bar will slide freely.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 05:58 PM

Well what I said was getting the bar out after the pressure has been removed. I figured he already had the bolt out and all the pressure off and the bar was just stuck in the a-arm and/or key like mine was.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 06:28 PM

you have to beat the bar out. you have to unbolt the xmember and knock it backwards(to the rear of the truck) until the ends of the tbars fall, then you can pull them out of the LCA. put a 2x4 across the xmember so you can beat on it and not bang up the xmember.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First untension them. I used a large c-clamp with the swivel pad knocked off. Insert that into the dimple on the bottom of the torsion bar key and then crank it up enough so that once you remove the torsion bar bolt you can slide the pc out that the bolt goes into. Make sure to index mark everything before you take it off. Mark or count number of threads on the bolt before you remove it and I also mark a dash on the torsion bar to the crossmember and lower arm for later reinstallation. Once the bars are untensioned, take a 2x4 as Shorts mentioned and bang the crossmember towards the rear...that is after unbolting the crossmember. There are a couple pics of doing the torsion bars when I put my lift on, they are on my webshots page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode