SFA driveshaft question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 01:54 PM
TheZenTree

SFA driveshaft question

(btw,im back)

I'm doin ORU's SFA conversion on my 97 yukon, and i've been getting mixed answers on whether or not i'm gonna need a new front driveshaft. It's a dana 60 out of a 79 F350, and my transfer case is NP 241. according to ORU, i'm going to need a new front driveshaft, even though im not doing a lift at this time (axles are expensive [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ). But I emailed Willys a few months ago about it, and he said that he was able to use his stock front driveshaft. So my question is, which is it? also, if i DO have to get a custom front driveshaft, can i drive my truck without one until i can afford it (will it grenade the T-case?)? thanks yall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 02:13 PM
ratlover

Re: SFA driveshaft question

you can drive your truck in 2hi with no front shaft and be ok.

Your doing a SFA swap but not lifting it since the axels are expensive??? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] dont understand what you mean

Good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 04:29 PM

Sounds to me like he's swapping to SFA but keeping it close to stock height (prolly stock tires too), until he can afford good springs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 05:48 PM

My condolenses on getting ORU's kit. But anyway, the front shaft on the 88-ups are 3r series, and the Dana 60 Ford takes a 1350. You can get a conversion joint that goes 3r to 1350. Maybe next year I will put HP60 in my 97, and thats what I'm gonna do, rather than spending a ton on a front shaft. I'm not planning on going huge, just enough to clear 305/70/16s, so about 4". Since I made the mistake of buying ORUs, gonna make my own brackets. Should have bout 500-600 bucks in it total. (That includes buying the HP60, too) Good luck, let see some pics!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 06:09 PM
TheZenTree

yea, im gonna stick with no lift until i can afford springs and big tires. whats wrong with ORU's kit? i know its overpriced as hell, but i dont know anyone around here who would fab an SFA kit. so i can drive without a front shaft as long as i stay in 2HI. thats good.

EDIT - just thought of something. is the front driveshaft telescoping? i'd go look under my truck, but its in the shop at the moment. i mean, as the front suspension cycles, is the driveshaft gonna be able to telescope for the different geometry of the front suspension?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 07:18 PM

Heh, no, its not telescoping. Think about it, its IFS, the diff doesn't move [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
The control arms move INDEPENDENT of the diff, hence Independent Front Suspension (IFS).
but nice try..... [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 07:21 PM
TheZenTree

hahahaha, i understand the concept of IFS. wishful thinkin....

if the driveshaft doesnt telescope, then how can willys use a stock shaft and not break it when the suspension cycles?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:04 PM

yes, the front shaft is telescoping. i cant remember the extended and comnpressed length, but, it'll do the job. it won't be moving too much anyway, i don't think. also, just use the correct ujoint and should be fine with the axle and dshaft. if not, leave the dshaft off. it won't hurt anything at all, even if you did go into 4wd....the fronts wouldn't spin anyway [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:06 PM

Don't listen to him, the IFS shaft does have slip in it, about 3-4" total.

I used mine with 7" of total lift with no mods to the shaft at all except the conversion joint on the axle end as stated above and it worked fine till I put to much load on it and broke it.

You can run in 2hi with no front shaft and be perfectly fine.

And about all the ORU bracket comments by the big mud truck guy, whatever, yeah there 750 bucks and if you can build them yourself then go for it but don't bad mouth the kit because of the price, it's a great kit.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:52 PM
96Chevysfa

i think the dana 60 takes a 1310, not a 1350, atleast gm and dodge d 60s do, not positive on ford, i would recomend waiting and doing everyhting at once, because then u wont have to get a second set of front springs, and u already have to buy new rims(8 lug).
i have the opru kit and its a very well designed kit, i am happy with it and dont regret buying it either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode