Attempted break in - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Attempted break in

I was washing my truck last night and noticed a small ripple underneath the pass. side door handle. It looks like some dumbass stuck a screwdriver underneath the door handle and tried to pry it off. I can totally notice it but it doen't really look too bad. How can I take this door handle off to straighten the sheet metal?

Also, how can you break into a car by taking the handle off? It seems to me that you'd be screwed because the lock may be gone but there is no handle. Sorry just a little pissed. All I have in the cab is a faceless CD player, sun shade and jack. I do have an alarm that is always on, the CLUB and flashing red lights on the dash and the stereo, thats what pisses me off.Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 12:08 PM

Re: Attempted break in

chevy trucks are notoriously easy to break into with a screw driver. you pop the handle, and can easily pop the lock and open the door.

another method people use is twisting the lock cylinder until it breaks, then opening up the door.

i've seen a metal plate that goes inside the door handle around the edges so people won't be able to stick the screwdriver in. its a simple thing, but its a pain cause you gotta take the door panel off.

you're alarm didn't go off? thats wierd. anyway, disconnect your LED light. that way theives don't get a heads up that the truck has an alarm.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 12:08 PM

Uh, if they pop the handle out they just pull the rod that pops the door open... Thats the whole point. These trucks are easy as pie to break into. Someone tried the same thing on the drivers front door of my truck and cracked the handle housing so I had to put a new one on.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Would pictures of how to take the door handle off be in my Haynes manual. I want to look at what it is like under there. Also if I can pop it out I can fix the sheet metal so it will sit in there straight. Thanks for the help.
P.S. Shorts, why disconnect the LED? I have it in there so people will NOT break in there. I figure they don't want the truck making a whole bunch of noise when they open the door. I hope that they see the light and nothing of value and keep on walking.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 02:44 PM

well there are 2 lines of thought on the mater. one is that you want as many damn lights on it as you can have to tell someone "dont [bleep] with my truck" kinda like a "beware of dog" sign.

the other line of thinking is that you dont want to let them know there is an alarm. they will be more careless and trip the system so you'll know its being tampered with. the would be thief will be shocked to find a truck with an alarm and s/he will leave.

i dont know which method works the best but i have 2 leds on mine [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 04:51 PM

I just made my truck so ugly no one would want to steal it, seems to have worked so far [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 06:41 PM

if the theif sees no LED, he's not thinking he has to prepare to shut the alarm down. it can catch him off guard. if the theif is an amature, he might not know how to disarm the truck. and seeing the truck has no* alarm, he might be stupid and try to get in the 'unarmed' truck.

ehh, do what you want, turn on all the lights, hell i don't care. i have an alarm too. so what if other people can't see the cool little blinking light. i use the alarm mainly for alert, if i'm near. or, for starter kill, if i'm not near. i'd rather not give the theif advanced warning of an impending doom.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:48 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">If I ever get a vehicle alarm it'll definitely be one that will page or dial a # to alert me directly of tampering with the vehicle, so I can then sneak up with my baseball bat, 12 guage shotgun, .45 caliber pistol, or one of any number of other devices in order to protect myself from said idiot, and then proceed to let them know they're under arrest... If they resist, they'll be terminated... [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]</font>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Mike.....screw LED lights man! Why do you think they make night sights? No but seriously though, a theif can get around almost any alarm if they are even half good at what they do. Thats why there more commonly refered to as Little Mother F*ckers after you goods are gone.
If you have a pump shotgun leave it unloaded and step outside and rack it once, they wont be back.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 02:09 PM
TheZenTree

Maan, what is this country coming to? you cant even rack a loaded shotgun without fear of legal issues...

do it "Thunder In Paradise" style - rig it so that when the alarm goes off, it shocks the piss outta the intruder [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode