electrical gurus and others that might wana make $ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 10:40 AM
ratlover

electrical gurus and others that might wana make $

Mr. Pane.....this means you [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Or any one else that wants to make a few bones......

Here is the deal....I have a 2003 2500HD LS reg cab duramax/allision. I do not currently have the steeringwheel touch controlls or all the nifty features that come with them(instant fuel milage radio controlls ect.) But I want them and I want them to look/act just like if I had the factory option. I want my power mirriors to do the little curb assist deal and all that jive. I know of a guy with an 01 duramax(controlls went available on them) that had the controlls retrofited and all that by jpcustoms. I talked to them and they said they will have a kit out soon and everything will function just like if I had the option. I really dont want to wait on them.......and I figure maybe a brilliant member here can figure things out and I could help support them and not so dudes I dont have any experience with [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

So basicly I will pay cash for a kit or plans to do it myself. I have no Idea what I need to buy, a basic idea of cost before the cost of said plans might be a good idea so I know if I will go through with it. I cant be dropping 2 grand on this project [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I have a source at a body shop so I might be able to get parts for a deccent price so cost to me will be down since I wont have to pay someone to run around to parts stores and such or pay for shipping.

Any one wana tackle this project?

pblackburn(at)cilco(dot)com

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 08:44 PM

Re: electrical gurus and others that might wana make $

I'll do it if you can spell my name right [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Umm, yeah I have never seen the system in real life so do you have a pic of the wheel and what it looks like so I can get an understanding of what the buttons do a bit better?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 06:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ratlover, does this look like what you want to have?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1182246-10611510.jpg (58.1 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 02:47 PM

couldnt u just buy a new sterring wheel like that somewhere, like a junk yard or something? Instead of hacking into your old one?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 08:46 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I have to believe that the tricky part here on this project is not dealing with changing or modifying the steering wheel, since that would be quite an easy swap... The difficulty would be *wiring* the buttons on the steering wheel to actually do the right things when they are pressed on a truck that did not have such a fancy setup originally...</font>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 09:35 AM
ratlover

Plan on just swaping the wheel....but maybe the button part would swap to the existing wheel??? I really dont know what is involved. Maybe its just a matter of swaping the wheel or maybe I gota get a new harness and rewire the truck brakelights to headlights???

Exactly Tim.....I dont know if all the conections are there so you just swap wheels and the truck recognizes things or not? Maybe the rtuck needs to be reflashed? I wouldnt think that the hard ware would be very different since it would cost the general more $$$ to have trucks wired completely different for one option but I dont know?

Thanks for posting the pic.....that is exactly what I want it to look like.

I have problems spelling my own name [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Do you want a list of all the stuff that having the controlls supposedly do? Its all in my owners manual. Any idea what this is going to involve?

You guys rock [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:12 PM
ratlover

any body???

ttt
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 07:45 PM

Re: any body???

I could/would do it for ya but basically don't have the time right now... But I'm willing to bet that all the wiring is there in your truck and all you need is a plug-in module under the dash and a new steering wheel. Most trucks I've worked on 98+ have one wiring harness with all the fancy stuff but they just have the plugs hanging in the air and you have to buy the modules to make different features work. Like my dads truck, it has all the wiring for the factory starter kill and it even has the little key under the dash that you push in then pull back out to be able to start the truck but it's not hooked to anything, all the wiring goes to a spot under the dash and just hangs....

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 07:43 AM
ratlover

Re: any body???

well when ever you do leme know.

I assumed thats kinda how it worked.

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I checked here at my dealership &amp; it would require a new
(here an incomplete list) pcm, bcm, steering wheel, column wiring harness, airbag, clockspring, radio, instrument cluster assembly, and finding a dealer to reprogram everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode