detroit locker and 10bolt - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

detroit locker and 10bolt

well for about 2 years now i have ahad the detroit locker and the 10bolt and finally something gave way. today as i pulled into work i snapped one of the axle shafts..hehe, sheared the shaft cleanly off. i haven't torn apart the diff yet as i didnt see a need to yet. i just re-inserted the axle and set the truck back on the ground. I"ll install a new one on the morrow. just wanted to let you know that you can shear the shafts with 33s on a 10bolt...bear in mind though that i do havea manual which absorbs absolutely NO shock what-so-ever.
I'll keep you updated about prices and progress. hopefully i can have the axle delivered tomorrow sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 12:48 AM

Re: detroit locker and 10bolt

You do realize that with all the money you have spent on that 10 bolt that you could have had 2 or 3 14 bolts with detroits by now right? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 07:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey also keep in mind that those STT's and axle shafts lasted a long time for all of his tire spinning and rock crawling ( [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input there captain mascot [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], i have come to realize this. but now I'm in a position whre i need to get it fixed before a day or two so i can get to work...that puts me in a position to get something i know is right.....right now.

anyways, i have determined that the shaft is broken. i couldnt get the other piece of the shaft out though. so i had to remove the pass side axle and then remove the carrier assembly. and yes i remember which side the shims go on [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]. i took the assembly to the driveline shop and it will be magnafluxed tomorrow morning to check for cracks. they also havea press there to remove the axle piece....so i should be good to go tomorrow. the guy even offered to let me borrow all the tools to set the ring and bearings back in place. he said if i couldnt get it back in withing a few hours that i should give him a call and he'll take a lunch break and come set it up for me. hows that for some customer service...i love it. anyways, thats what we're looking at. and now i have all the components to make my "man's lamp" out of haxles and gears.

pfunk, sorry i didnt get a hold of you thi afternoon. i was rushing around to gett he parts and other "what-not's" I'd need to get this done in my driveway when my other parts are available. i figure this'll get my truck rolling before i need to be in to work. heading to the heights for a parts truck and then swapping would have a taken a bit longer to do properly.
I'm keeping that truck in mind though for all my friends...and of course for myself as well
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

well magnaflux showed carrier to be good still. currently waiting on word regarding bearing condition. should know before the end of a couple of hours.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

got locker and ring back today. installed and put in axle shafts. filled with lube and now have a different problem...only one wheel is locked the other wheel isnt being powered for some reason. anyone know whay that might be?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

turns out i have broken the clutch assembly inside my locker. and I'm looking at about 500bucks for parts to repair it. so for 500 bucks i can get
1) new locker
2) parts to repair
3) checking on price now for new open carrier
4) whole new rear axle.

if any of you have suggestions or commentary..feel free to let me know.
thanks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 08:34 PM

axle [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Call up the local junkyards and get a 14SF. You can find them under 96 up Savannas and Expresses too. If you can find a "you pull it" junkyard ask them how much an axle under one of those vans costs. They'll usually let you have it for cheaper than a 14SF out of a high GVW half ton.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 10:33 PM

Get a 14FF and convert it to 6 lug, bingo bango strongo.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode