Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   MSD box (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-ifs-trucks-suvs/155324-msd-box.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 02-23-2003 07:18 PM

MSD box

MSD on TBI rig, does anyone know how to put one on computer controlled. I've alredy got the MSD external coil and 8.5mm super conductor wires installed but i want MSD6a box or something like that, can it be done. how would it install.

FunInTheMud 02-23-2003 07:29 PM

Re: MSD box

Well, I just put one on my truck yesterday. It is a very easy install. The only thing you will need besides the ignition box itself is the harness adapter, which is MSD part number 8876. After I put mine on, I noticed an increase in low-end torque.
FunInTheMud

Ken_Loyd 01-18-2004 06:46 PM

Hello,

I just got the MSD 6AL, and the same MSD Wire Harness also. It makes for a simpler, and cleaner install.
I will be installing it tomarrow, but I am trying to decide where to mount it on my '88 CHevy K1500.
I was hoping to find a couple of posts on where some other mounted it. I think I will mount it where my washer reservior is at, since I don't use the washers (RainX).
It's a very simple install. The doc's with the MSD 6AL is great, I could install this on the wife's rice burner if I wanted to... lol [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

FunInTheMud 01-18-2004 08:13 PM

Ken,

Here is where I mounted my msd box when I had the truck:

http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthrea...058519-msd.jpg

Brandon
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Ken_Loyd 01-21-2004 05:33 AM

Brandon,

Thank you for your reply and photo-post. I mounted mine where the washer reservior was mounted on the driver side. Removal of the washer reservior was the easy, and since I use RainX and not the washers anyways it worked out ok.
I went and got some "flex tube" for the wiring, heat shrink, and some solder. It all worked very cleanly as an install.
I will have to get a dig-cam soon so I can post where I did my install.

But now I will have to figure out why its "leaning out" and running rough. I got a new filter, replaced the EGR, and A.I.C. Everything times out great, runs great when the "tan/black" wire is disconnected. But then runs rough when connected. Put a new O2 in also. Reseated and sealed the TBI. Module in distributor? I am going to have to check out what the wiring diagram show's in the "manual/CD".

[img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

FunInTheMud 01-21-2004 08:14 PM

Ken,

My 92 as well as friends 94 and 93 Silverado all had MSD boxes installed. We both had internment miss and occasional rough running engines. The only conclusion we came to was that factory GM TBI distributors are JUNK! My friend installed a MSD TBI pro billet distributor on his 94 and it no longer missed. He then bought one for his 93 truck and it was cured as well. I unfortunately sold my truck before I changed out the distributor. I would look into purchasing and MSD distributor. But until then, I would say your timing is off. You should be able to get away with 5 degrees of advance. You also might want to gap your plugs bigger, and MSD instructions tell you to do that to.

Brandon

Ken_Loyd 01-23-2004 07:48 AM

Hello FunInTheMud,

I ordered the MSD Pro Billet Distributor PN 8366.
http://www.msdignition.com/dist/pn8366.jpg

FunInTheMud 01-23-2004 09:55 AM

Hey,

Cool, thats the one. Let me know how it turns out after its installed.

Brandon

Ken_Loyd 01-28-2004 08:13 AM

Hello,

The distri install/change was simple, but back to the "cd/book". I think the "ECM" is torched. Going to VOM the TPS just incase. I am wondering if the regulator is torched enough to have spiked the system. The "old" distributor's module was torched, which I had it tested at Schucks/Kragens where it failed in 3 area's.
I don't know, but this truck did this previously and it cost me about $1700 to get it fixed. And they told me it was a "ground" wire that had broke. Of course the shop is out of business, but I did get a one year waranty from them... Hmnn... No they did do a couple of jobs for me previously and did a good job at fair prices. At that time I did go and talk with them, and told them what I had done prior to them working on it. Replaced the all the sensors except the VSS, replaced the pressure regulator in the TBI, fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, cap & rotor. Etc.
I think I have about had it... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]