Off Roading Forums banner

Spring behind hubs?

581 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I broke my superwinch passenger side hub on my Dana 44 front axle. I took both hubs off and realized that the big spring behind the hub on the driver side was missing on the passenger side. My neighbor has a 76' stepside with dana 44 front axle and when he took his auto locking hubs off he said he had a spring on only one side also. Is this right? Should there be a spring behind both hubs? I can't see why there wouldn't be? Also I can't find another one. this could be the reason for it breaking in the first place.

#2 ·
There should be a spring behind both hubs if they're manual. That's what engages the clutchring over the drive flange on the axleshaft and locks the wheel to the axleshaft. It could well have caused the breakage. I haven't had autos apart, but I see no reason why they should only have a spring on one side.

Evan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
Contagious Off-Road

G
#3 ·
If you read the directions on a set of warn hubs.(just for fun) They say to remove the springs/or not replace the springs.I ran my super winch ones with the springs.It makes it harder to put in,or get out the outer retaining ring but It sure makes getting the lockout out easier.It doesnt seem to me that it makes a difference...I believe that the spring is just there to aid in dissengauging the lockout....Please tell me if Wrong!! cause I dont know either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.