Off Roading Forums banner

Shifting rear axle

436 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  REBEL_WITH_A_4X4 
#1 ·
I posted a few days ago about a slight "honking" niose. The noise is present when I come to a start or stop. I climbed under there and tightened the u bolts, shocks and made sure nothing was rubbing. I even lubed the hangers for the exhaust, they were dry and full or dirt. I checked the driveshaft for the weights and I found some. There is one near the u joint at the diff and one near the output of the t case. One thing I did notice at the back end of the t case was that it looks like the rear axle has been pulled out a little bit more than an 1/8". There is a shiny worn mark present, I guess it is slipping or has slipped. Is this causing the noise? Should I worry? Can I fix it?
Thanks for all the help in advance.

#2 ·
I think that you're talking about the slipyoke, that's normal to be shiny. As the suspension compresses the driveshaft has to shorten, the slipyoke allows it to do that.

I think your problem may be a sticking wheel cylinder. The honking may be the pad dragging on the drum when you start or stop, I've heard it before in my truck when the drums get alot of mud in them. Check it out, I might even bet money on it. Don't know what else might honk./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Evan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
Ugly Brown Truck v2.0 coming soon(ish)!

#3 ·
I had a loose steel wheel that would honk on takeoffs and stops, you might check that. If it might be more of a clunk you might check front end parts.

I'm assuming that since you're concentrating on the rear, it's either a loose rear wheel or an un lubed metal to metal movement which should be detectable by disturbed rust.

Shaggy's wheel cylender and drum idea sounds right too, I've never had that problem though so I don't know.

Nearly no mods...lots to come/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.