Spare Tire Importance - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spare Tire Importance

I've been riding around w/o a spare tire for a while and am wondering how important it is to have one. I drive on a combo of logging roads and the highway daily on BFG 35's and the worst thing I've encouneterd so far is a nail which I could still drive with. A 35 probably wont fit in the stock carrier, especially with the exhaust pipes there now. I really don't want to carry it in the bed either since I need all the space I can get there. When I do get a full size spare though I was planning on just uing it when I go off roading.

Guess my question is whether or not it's really necessary to carry a spare on the highway & take up bed space?

90 K1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 08:29 PM

Re: Spare Tire Importance

well, there isnt a law saying you have to have one. and if you have good tread you shouldn't NEED it anytime. but thats the whole idea of a spare. you dont NEED it but its great to haev when you need it. like full-coverage. lots of folks say they will never need it...and some don't. but some smash the hell out of thier rigs and have to suck it up and pay out of pocket. i carry my spare in my bed. doesnt fit with exhaust down there....well i never checked, but i took it off for the guys to put the exhaust on it. i like it i nthe bed better. and what are you going to be hauling that you can't put a spare on top of it?

---Peacock posted this
<font color=red>'96, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train,</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 08:44 PM

<font face="comic Sans MS">You could always make a custom bumper with a spare carrier built in. The swing out variety. You'd have to use some *very* hefty bearings to support the weight though. *Is* do able though. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

The one and only 'Sandturnip'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow, I wish I had your luck. Ever hear of Murphy's Law??

I must be the unwitting subject in some sort of sick cosmic practical joke.
I've gotten flats in the woods...flats on the highway...in a parking lot.
I can't count how many flats I've got.

I've been stranded by day...I've been stranded by night....
I've been stranded with coyotes and no one in sight.

I got a flat tire hitting a rabbit once.
I got a flat during the only rockslide in months.

I've had flats here and there...oh I've had flats EVERYWHERE.

Just minutes after changing a flat by myself on a dark country road, I said to myself, "Hope I don't get another one of those!"....KA-POW!!! ^%$^#$!!

Please, please listen to me, Sam I Am. Don't ever drive without a spare, unless you're stocked up on Green eggs and SPAM!!

Anyway, there's another post earlier about this very thing. Try fitting your 35 in the stock hanger...it may be worth the 15 minutes of effort...even if you have to pull one off the rear (sounded like you don't actually have that big spare yet). Like I said in that other post...I know a guy fit a 35 under there between a dual rear exit exhaust.

I'd say Good Luck, but you don't seem to need it, &^%*&$[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].

Coop[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 10:28 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well, let's say your driving down the road, and, BLAM, your tire goes.

senerio #1- You don't have a spare. Your option is to call someone, in hope they can stop what they are doing to "help" you out of something that could have bee avoided. Your other option is to drive along on the flat and ruin a perfectly good rim.

OR

senerio #2- carry a spare, and carry your own weight. It will take you, at the most, 15 minutes to be back on the road.

Hmmmmmm........

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I haul firewood and the more I can pile on, the more $$ I make per trip. Within a couple months though I'll probably be doing something else, so the space wont be needed as much. I don't have the 35" spare yet, well just the stock one, but I don't think that would work.
Elk_Muncher, sounds like you just have bad luck. Thats a lot of flats. I should probably take your advice though before my luck runs out.

I think I'll just get a 25% tread tire and mount it on the stock spare wheel so I don't have to worry about theft.

90 K1500
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A spare tire is very important in my book

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I pack two 285s in my bed pretty near all the time unless I use the bed then I just pack one, I also have one 265 mounted that sits in the garage, Ive loaned out spare before, lol when I didnt pack two and was worried the hole time going home that Id blow a tire,

I get more flats than you can imagine, Ive had a freakin rail spike size nail in my tire, a screw drive(craftsman) chunk of sage brush, nails, screws, dirt in the bead, and just had them go flat for no reason.

also depending on who your with, being stuck out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night isnt always a bad thing, been tried to drive on flat but shredded the tire and decided Id stop, wich was cool with me,

Evan

trucks suck
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 02:28 AM
sayl4u

You say you run logging roads a lot hauling fire wood? seems like the perfect scenerio for a flat and a long walk!! speeking from experiance of coarse:<

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HEE HEE...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

Yeah, I have the worst luck of anyone I know. Many people say that, but trust me. I could tell you stories that would turn you WHITE!!. That's a quote from a movie, but it fits.

Anyway, come to think of it, you might be alright. As far as I can tell, I'm a black hole for bad luck. As long as I'm here suckin' it all up, y'all better get crazy and take chances. You'll be OK. Life is too busy crappin' on me.

No, seriously, like these guys said. Preparation is half the battle. Don't get me wrong, I'm not like the spare tire guru or anyhting. Shoot, my spare is ALWAYS smaller than the tires I run (everytime I buy new tires, I go a bigger size and keep the best of my old ones as spare), but I've learned to always keep it with me. I've hauled wood a lot too. That one time said I had a flat and then said it would suck to get another one...and then DID...that was out on logging roads at 1 A.M. by myself. Coyotes howling all around....stories of mad black bears in the area fresh in my head. I took 1 hour to change my flat cause I did it with my H & K on my hip and stopped every 5 minutes to listen to the spooky night....and it was only 10 miles from home. I knew the territory. Stuff gets all different at night where I grew up, man.

Then, I was forced to walk cause the comedy gods thought it would be a good joke to give me that second flat anyway. SCARY.

Figure out a way to do it man. Out on logging roads all the time...carry a spare. You may never use it. Maybe...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode