New guy intro & stereo ?'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 07:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New guy intro & stereo ?\'s

Hi all, since I've posted on a couple of other threads I figured I better introduce myself before asking a bunch of ?'s.
I'm based in Central California (no beaches here). I recently purchased a 99 4 dr Tahoe. Have installed a 4" Trailmaster, 15x10 Weld Super Singles, 33x12.50 BFG AT (daily driver), Airaid intake, Flowmaster, Optima battery, hi amp alt, and I guess that's it (so far). This rig is basically my everydayer (I know, pavement pounder, poser, all show & no go, I've heard them all) and will be used to get me to the dunes (Pismo Beach) to ride my Banshee, or to the "secret" fishing spot (that everybody knows about) in the hills which will require mild offroading capabilities. I've got a CJ5 that used to take me hunting, but 2 years ago I got a bug somewhere to do a frame off restore on it and I haven't gotten very far (good thing for friends)

Now, the stereo that came with the truck was a surprise as I wasn't concentrating on tunes when I test drove it. The deck is an Alpine. The speakers in the front doors are Rockford Fosgate, there were no speakers in the rear doors or the very rear. The center console is a JL Audio Box that the Sub was removed.
Here's what I've done in the rush to get decent sounding tunes. Rear doors received Polk 6.5" (stocks size is 6.75), far rear received 4x10 Pioneers, and I stuffed an MTX sub in the center. All run by a 4 channel Alpine amp that I had in my old 96 Z71. It sounds real good, but I hate things being done by Mickey Mouse.
I'm looking to match front and rear door brands (whether they both be RF or some other). The problem is finding higher end speakers that fit, or a higher end brand that makes a speaker that fits both front and rear doors.
Anybody have any suggestions? I know most of you guys don't give a rats a*# about the tunes, but I figured I'd give you all a try.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 08:04 PM

Re: New guy intro & stereo ?\'s

Actually we do give a sh#t. Especially Willyswanter(jason) He's installs stereos and stuff for a living, so uhhh, he'll be along shortly as I am completely useless on the subject. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Old Hand

I install stereo's too, but just for cash on the side. One of my buddies with a 4 dr. had 2 boston pro 12's and a set of boston pro components up front running off of a phoenix gold xs6600. It sounds well enough to where he doesnt need to put new speakers in the back, he took them out and just had subs. Alot of companies make 6 3/4'' speakers.. you have Pioneer, sony, panasonic, kenwood, RF,Cerwin vega, kicker, etc. Personally I love the sound of a set of component speakers, and I love boston pros(too much $$ for me though). They really do make a difference in quality.

http://www.geocities.com/supaflie/wxl.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 08:37 PM
Old Hand

I would get a set of components up front....then see if you want to add anything else

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the reply's guys.
Here's the problem. I can't seem to find anybody that makes a 6.75" component that will fit. Usually the depth is too deep. I only get 2 3/8" in the front doors and 2 1/8 in the rear doors. I'm real curious as to know more about the Boston's.
Did your buddy mount them in the stock locations?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 01:07 AM

Ok, I'm here! The 99 is the 88-98 body sytle correct? Not the new one? If so, then, you can fit most 6.5" components in the front, you make a maximum of 1/2" thick spacer ring out of MDF to space the speaker out 1/2". And grind or cut the plastic ring off the back of the door panel. Works great. Now for the rear doors, you can do the same thing. I can fit 8's in the rears and I've even installed a single 10 in each rear door before. Now as far as brands. For great quality/waranty/price I push Memphis Car Audio http://www.memphiscaraudio.com. That is my biggest selling line for the last, umm, 3 years. And I recomend a component set in the front, a 6.5 mid with 1" tweeter. I personally don't really like rockford, I know everyone else does, but I've had alot of problems with them, and there just not great for SQ (sound quality). I mostly do high end systems consisting of stuff such as Focal, Morel, ADS, Dynaudio, etc. And I almost exclusively use Memphis Stuido series amplifiers. That and Genesis, but those are in the thousands of dollars each but hey, there custom built for your application[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. Up to 9 foot case length[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 11:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Willyswanter.
Yes, it's the old body style. I'm not that big a fan of RF either which is why I'm looking to replace them. So you suggest a 6.5 component and not looking for a 6 3/4? I just saw a Kicker Component 6 3/4 that looks like it will fit in the stock locations without any mods. Do you know anything about these? They make a 2 way that will fit in the rear doors too.
Obviously, I'm not that big of a stereo guy, because I haven't even heard of the brands you mentioned.

Thanks for all your help.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 11:50 AM
Old Hand

Yeah, I cant even believe how many Punch XLC's I have gone through with my system.....I upgraded to the new HE's and I'm loving them so far.

Willyswanter - memphis audio is not pushed very hard around where I live, so I havent really heard too much of their products, just read about them etc. I'm planning on putting another 600 watt phoenix gold amp in my truck and running some more subs....I buy RF cause I because I get them at 40% off. Are the memphis subs pretty reliable with a small amount of sealed air space, I just have an ext cab, and I plan on building another custom box, what do you suggest.
I want to take my back seat out and build something efficient and nice looking.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey 97TealZ71,
Are you running stock speakers in the doors?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 04:01 PM

Well, the studio's have really nice sound but not that big boomy sound that alot of kids like nowadays. Anyway, the HPO's are in many SPL competition rigs. Along with the SHP's. And if you want something to really blow your head off check out the LVS's:

Now, as far as the kicker 6.75's. I wouldn't pay more for something cause they added 1/8" more all the way around to the lip. It prob. has the same cone and motor structure of there 6.5". Anyway, I haven't really had any probs with kicker components, have with there subs though. Like the solobaric though. If you want to stick to some of the normal brands, boston haves some really nice stuff.

This is the focal 6.5" sets I'm gonna put in the white truck:

Not bad for a mere 1200 bucks[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode