cummins, or harvester - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

cummins, or harvester

ok I have decided to get a new truck I even have some cash to put towards it when or if I find something, Ive decided pretty much what I want but that would go agaisnt what Ive wanted for a long time, so I figured Id ask if you where looking for a cummins or ford, wich one would you get?
yeasterday I called 7 dealers, and found one truck, a 95 reg cab ford diesel and auto tranny, for 1200 thumbs down on it cause the auto tranny, but it looks like if I travel alittle farther 150 200 miles there are quite few dodge cummins with 100-130k floating around the 10995-12000 price tag(sticker) I wont pay sticker price.

ok this isnt meant to be ford dodge question its on the cummins and international motor, and isnt meant to be a debate, I just want few opions to renforce my decision.

thankx
Evan

trucks suck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 02:47 PM

Re: cummins, or harvester

well, you know what i think [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] that cummins is tried and true, but i know fords got their following. i can only speak from the dodge side of it - that 100-120k is nothing on those trucks. if you can't decide on which to get, narrow down your trucks to two...then see who will give you the better deal.

The Pair

Crank 'em 1" - measure first!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 03:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Monica

Im thinking dodge mainly because theyve got less stuff on them that goes wrong, glow plugs being one, and every PSD weve had has had injectors replaced, switches, glow plugs, etc, and it got pretty spendy. it didnt seem to matter how would the 2001 a year after pulling it off the lot devloped starting problems, ohhh dads work truck 2000 PSD did the same thing,

I heard, well i havent heard any one haveing problems with their cummins,

well i think Id b etter head to the bank to see if theyl even let me do something like this

thankx
Evan

trucks suck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 03:55 PM

The Dodge (Cummings) kicks ass, Very dependable. keeps going, and going, and going, and going, and well you get the point [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Ford (international) SUX!!! they wernt worth a crap, until they came out with the powerstroke (I am not sure what year that was[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]).
Also for fuel mielage the Dodge is much better than the Ford. (and I am guessing mielage is important to you, other wise you would be getting a CHEVY 454)

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 06:52 PM
RolngThun

I'm not going to make a recommendation on brand, since I work on them all, they are all the same to me.
What I would recommend is checking on the year models different upgrades were made on each. Like Ford going to the PS and Dodge going electronic and more valves per cylinder and such.
I know the Ford PS is acually a CAT engineered fuel system.
The Dodge has two computers on the electric versions, a Dodge computer and a cummins computer. And the Dodge dealer is limited to what they can do. There are times when you may have to go to a Cummins dealer for service.
A Dodge does have an intake heater.
To me it seems the newer the better it runs, but the harder and more expensive to repair.
I find the new Dodges and GMs to be very impressive.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 11:01 PM
blt2ski

The Navistar T444E ie pwer stroke came out in the fall of 93 as a 94 model motor. It "WAS NOT" inner cooled until the 99 SD body came out. This allowed a few more ponies and torque out of the motor.
As far as trannies go, Ford has used a ZF manual 5 or 6 sp the whole time. Auto's the later models are supposed to be better, but I have seen a number of folks on an RV forum saying the auto's never miss a tranny rebuild shop along the road. Take that for what it's worth.
The other turbo model FOrd to stay away from is a 93 IDI turbo model. This is the N/A 7.3 that has a factoy aftermarket ATS turbo on it. The N/A 7.3 was not designed for a turbo, although many people do/have put turbo's on them. These motors, at least the Ford versions, were having overheat problems with A/C and an auto tranny. I personally would stay away from a 7.3 that has been turbo'd.
Dodge only get a manual. As the auto/B5.9's have been detuned to not fry the auto. Dodge has always used a NV 5 or 6 sp. The basic difference here is whether it's a 12V(alve) or a 24V motor. The 12V motors are from what I have read more bombable than the 24V versions. Very cheaply vs the Ford or GM diesels.
That's what I know about the two.
Now of course if you really want to have fun with either of these motors, find a Class 6 Ford, Navistar, Frieghtliner with a Spicer 7 sp and you will have a really low first gear of 10.08-1.
Marty

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 12:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

suposebly the 12v cummins is more reliable, but what cummins isnt reliable, also guess how much fuel pump for the cummins is, 2 grand, but can be rebuilt for 600 or so thats crazy.
I have no problem getting the 12v motor, actually I drove a 97 12v with the 5 speed today and realy liked it, made me grin, I cant wait till thursday to get to shopping, i just hope my truck doesnt decide to take crap while Im driveing all over the state trying to track down a cummins.

yeah I decided on the dodge, man that d60, d80 combo with coils I realy cant beat, along with the cummins

thankx for the opions
Evan

trucks suck
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 01:43 AM
SHOTGUN

Evan D60/80 = 3500 D60/70 =2500(mine)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Plus you know the coils are only on the front axle right?(dumb question I know)
Hey check out my "What do ya think?" post you'll like it. I've got plans for next years income tax check already! Or maybe a birthday present from mom and dad![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 11:35 AM

hey shotgun, i thought the D80s was in manual V10s and diesel 2500/3500???

The Pair

Crank 'em 1" - measure first!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It also depends if you want power. Are you going to be doing any kind of towing? Because International will walk away from a little cummins with no problem. Just don't get a dodge automatic, it is just like paying somebody to shoot you in the foot. Have fun truck hunting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode