6.2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 07:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was looking at a 91 4x4 with 6.2 diesel why r they so weak it has 130000 miles on it i know trubo would help but to much $ any other hint they r nothing like the power stroke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 6.2

yup

I woulndt buy one of those, the dodge and ford desels are so much better that I could and would never consider getting a 6.2 chevy. partly because the motor doesnt have good reputaion and the fact that its sitting on ifs front end, wich will fall aprt in no time

just my opions
Evan

trucks suck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 06:01 PM

hey now dont po po the 6.2, its a good solid motor, i have a 86 that has 174,000 on it, still runs good, doesnt use oil, well not any more then any other deisel. Just a small oil leak, truck would still be being drivin but the tranny took a crap. And a turbo isnt nessessarily espensive. My GMC has one that the guy i bought it from rigged up, theres alot of stuff runnin around, but you can tell it has some extra power.

'83 GMC Seirra Classic 4x4 w/ 379 C.I. diesel, NP 208, 10 bolts, 235 Wild Spirits, Turbo from a International 966 tractor.(in process of rebuilding)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 10:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I didnt realy mean to put them down, its just I never have cared for them

but yeah like you said they can run forever

trucks suck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 11:20 PM
blt2ski

One also needs to remember the 6.2 came out of the oil embargo days and was ment to be a high mpg 305/350 HP/torque wise. So it never did, nor was it ment to be a power house. It did do what GM had intended it to do. Get over 20 mpg, it does last along time, at least as compared to the 6.5! The 6.5 was ment to be a cross between a 350 and a 454 power wise. Which it has done also.
A 6.2 would not be that bad of a motor s long as you are not planning to tow with it!
Marty

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 12:28 AM

i do a bit of towing with it, and the 6.2 held up, although the 700R4 didnt that was in the Chevy with a full hay rake behind it. And yes it dang good for milage and desent power. Enough to sqeal them a bit. Bit of info to, my Shop teacher told me its one of the highest reving diesel motors for pickups.

'83 GMC Seirra Classic 4x4 w/ 379 C.I. diesel, NP 208, 10 bolts, 235 Wild Spirits, Turbo from a International 966 tractor.(in process of rebuilding)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 07:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

would the 91 have the 6.5 r 6.2 i do a lot of towing that why i was wanting a diesel r a big block

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 10:04 AM
blt2ski

IIRC the first year for a 6.5 was 92, definetly 93.
Marty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode