O/T Asking for a raise. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

O/T Asking for a raise.

I'll give you some info and history here first.
I work at a water treatment plant. This plant is owned by a public trust with board members that make all the decisions. It's a non profit org. and we've got about 1.5 million horded up. We make about 1.5MGD for just more than 10,000 people. I'm the main maintenance guy here and I pretty much fix it all. We have 5 employees (manager, rob, john, jim, and me). Thus far ammount of pay goes with how long you've worked here. John has been here 20 years and he makes$10.92 an hour He's useless too. Rob - 3 years - makes $8.75 and is clueless. Jim 1.5 years - $8.06 and is not capeable of more than daily routine. Me 2.5 years 8.06, and like I said I'm Mr. fixit.

I've got my GED, Votech auto mechanics deploma, ASE certification (i think it's expired if that's possible), Forklift operator's license, Class "C" water license, CCW license, lifetime hunt & Fish license, and within a month I'll have my class "C" lab license

Would I be out of place by asking for $10 an hour, as I believe I'm worth it. I've been looking at other jobs, but most of the good ones are given to the manager's relatives and friends. I do have an insider at the Army ammo plant, but I don't know what the pay or job is for sure.

Would I be better off trying to bluff them with the "I've got another offer for $XX.xx an hour" (if I did that and they called the bluff I'd look stupid and be jobless)

Or would the better approach be to go to the monthly board meeting and calmly present my case?

I'd love to hear your life experiences reguarding this issue.

Sorry for all the money posts lately, I've been in quite a slump. You guys have always helped me allot with everything and I appriciate it. I consider most of you "on line" friends, so if it isn't a problem for you I'll keep asking advise on life issues as well as truck stuff.

Thanks
KS2
I'm going to go take some of my frustrations out on some bowling pins and osama targets.

BTW, peacock - I've already made $120 doing driveway mechanics, thanks for the advise earlier.

<font color=red>Nearly no mods...lots to come[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:12 PM

Re: O/T Asking for a raise.

Well, all I have to say is that if they do promise you something, get it in writing right away. When I went to work at Home Depot[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img], I was promised a raise 10 an hour within 30 days of hiring if I worked out. They started me at 8.75. Well, here comes 30 days and uh, sorry, we didn't make enough money this month, have to wait till 6 month evaluation[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img], DOH! Ok, 6 months rolls by, oh well, we decided to get rid of 6 month evaluations and are going yearly now[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] DOH DOH! Ok, since I'm the only one in my whole department that does any work, and I build all the displays, fix all the safety issues through the whole store!, and have been employee of the month for 3 months straight. I was peeved. So, I go in and tell them I'm quiting if I don't get a raise, all the assistant managers loved me and praised me, but this damn manager. He said, well, do you have what was said when you started in writing? I was like uh, no you told me!. And he said, sorry. I was like, ha, sucks for you, I'm outa here. And now my department is worst in store[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], now that I'm gone. MUAHAHAHA Don't ever work for HOME DEPOT!!!

Ok, anyway, back to your question, I never had any luck goin in asking for raises cause I always got nervous and hid in a corner when they said no[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Jason, I've had similar experiences. I left Burger King the first time because I found a better job and they wouldn't give me a raise, needless to say I left. The better job was B&H Truck Service. It went well at $13 an hour until the IRS did an audit and said nobody was paying taxes. I owed the govt $1400 even though I showed them pay stubs where it was being deducted and the business was closed. The next job was McDonnalds, that only lasted 4 days because if you act like you have a brain you get treated like $hit. Well here is where I went back to BK. This lasted for 6 months until my family moved to texas. I worked as the shop foreman for action truck services. For $22 an hour and I was sad to see the owner die and the business folded under a corparate take over. I then worked for the chicken plant back here in OK where a friend promised a job. It was 7.50 an hour working in the chicken $hit with all of the illegal aliens. They refused to give anyone a raise so I went to work for Discount Wheel and tire. After about 6 months I guess they figured they could trust me so they asked me to rip off un suspecting customers in various ways. I told them to *uck off and yelled the entire story infront of several customers while explaining why I won't do it. I got a call from the news paper the next day, apparently one of the customers was a reporter - the story was in ink within 2 days and the business folded. Then comes wal mart, they were OK, but the water plant payed more. So here I am.

BTW, The discount story is the main reason I urge everyone to do their own work.

Sorry that was so long.

<font color=red>Nearly no mods...lots to come[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:49 PM

rebel, ask them, try to go in there with alittle back up. like proof of how much you do, and mean to the company. If the job at that ARMY ammo plant is a gs position (civilian working for the goverment) I would look into it. Usually GS positions pay pretty well.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

I didn't know that's what it is called, but it is a "GS" position. A guy just started the other day at $12.50. I hear it is a 4 day job meaning that you put in 10 hrs a day to get 40 per week (@ $12.5 that's 2000 per month before taxes[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). Certain departments are putting in 6 days right now (guess the ammo making has increased) that means 20 hours of OT a week, that would be 18.79 an hour if starting wage is that $12.5 as mentioned earlier. I might be wrong but I think that's $3,503 before tax per month. I'm considering a second job now anyway, so the 60 hours won't kill me. But like I said, I know verry little about what I'd actually be doing or if that 12.50 is starting pay for all positions. I do know that everybody employed at this facility is sworn to secrecy, and no information no matter how small is to be leaked (maybe that plus the danger of working with bombs constitutes good pay). I've been there and it's like a small city. They've got their own water and sewer plants. There is a bar and a gas station, a barber shop, hospital, pool, shooting range, hunting priveliges in govt property to employees. I hear it's nice, but until then I still want a raise from these idiots.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

let me give a small amount of advise. Go thru the chain of command. Do not go directly to the board.

Let me give a little back-up information. I am the Executive Director of a non-profit organization in CA. I'm the person that has to answer to the Board of Directors, not my employees. If one of my employees were to try and circumvent me by going directly to the board, they would be looking for a new job.

Go to the manager first and explain your situation. A lot of times "public agencies" have a structured payroll system in place. Meaning your pay is based on a couple of factors (usually years of service and experience). Yours may be the same and your manager's hands may be tied. Good luck.

just my $.02

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 04:31 PM

I completely agree with Litljay.

And will add a couple of do's and don'ts when looking for a raise.

DON'T refer to anyone else's pay. 1st off it's none of your business what they make. Also it sounds like your saying "Look your already overpaying this guy , so overpay me too!"
DON'T "ASK" for a raise, that doesn't mean you "OR ELSE" them either, and NEVER try the "I have another offer" routine, unless you really do! that will backfire on you every time.
DON'T Go over their head (just like litljay said!) that is one of the worst things to do, because even if it did work, your manager would now have it out for you!

DO Be direct "I need a raise" and "based on my experience and my record here", "I handle the maintenance on this and that and the other thing"
(you fill in the blanks)
DO Bring up you attendance if it's good, avoid it if it's bad.
DO Leave it in his hands to decide, give him the power! (it's an ego thing, bosses like feeling that they hold your fate in thier hands)
something like "look into it for me and let me know what you can do" (again your not asking, but your not telling either)
"I know I'm worth more, and I enjoy working here, so I want to continue here, but I just need more money"
(again avoid the "Or else" that you would be tempted to add to this statement)

Anyway this is some advise, take it or leave it, it may not apply to your work environment.

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 05:57 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I just want to say that I agree with Scooby. I was a manager for about 7 years and the "or else" approach generally doesn't work, although with the right kind of boss it will work. I recommend the route that Scooby suggests, just point out all of the stuff you do, and just make them understand that without you they may not be able to keep their equipment running. That is, unless they can get someone else trained for your job very quickly, then you might be SOL because they think of you as replaceable.

Another possible passive approach - if you KNOW that you are pivotal to the smooth running of the place, take a vacation for a week, so they know what it's like to be without you for a while. When you come back you might be more appreciated, and hence it might be a good time to ask for a raise. Just an idea.

Evan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Ugly Brown Truck v2.0 coming soon(ish)!</font color=green>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot! You have all made great points.
sorry I can't type more B/C I'm on the dreamcast [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot! You have all made great points.
sorry I can't type more B/C I'm on the dreamcast [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode