More Power - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

More Power

How should i go about getting more power out of my truck? I've got an K&N intake on there already and I'm in the process of getting dual exhaust with headers and a computer chip. I've looked at superchargers but they seem way over priced. New motors seem like too much of a hassle, sounds like you have to replace a lot of other stuff. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:08 PM

Re: More Power

Re-gearing is DEFINETLY the biggest "Bang for the buck"
What are you running 35"s or even 33"s???
What gears do you currently have 3.42's ???

If your running 33" go to a 4.11 gear
35" go for 4.56's

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:09 PM

<font face="comic Sans MS">I'd not bother with the chip. I'd hold off on a chip until you either supercharge, swap engines, or change your cam and other components. Sorry to say it but those are the only "real" ways you'll get more power than you have now. Since you're getting headers, exhaust, free flowing intake. Might upgrade the intake, TBI, etc but that won't get gains like the s/c or engine swap.

Also unfortunately it's also not legal to do many modifications. Although that's up to you if you want to deal with that or not.

Going fast costs serious money... It comes down to a matter of how fast do you want to spend? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

***Edited below this line***
Forgot to mention regearing. The previous poster got that covered. Assuming you already have the proper gear ratio, then my post applies...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

The one and only 'Sandturnip'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:11 PM

prety much time to start looking atforced induction....and engine internals. neew cam, heads, port and polish...etc. there was a link to some sort of little ",mini-supercharger" gizmo a few days....maybea week ago. claimed about 15Hp increase in a V-8...but it said something about only up to 5.0 litres might wanna check that out. I"m sure someone will remember the link for it.

---Peacock posted this
<font color=red>'96, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train,</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna be running 33's soon, still winter here, and i have 3.73 gears. I already have the chip, its suppose to take advantage of the new exhaust stuff. Would 4.11's help or maybe an intake manifold? If i were to put a new engine in or supercharge my current 5.0L what other sort of mods would i need, new transmission, computer etc.?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 04:18 PM

4.11's would definetly help, BUT as a rule it usually doesnt justify the cost to move "one step" in gears, 3.73 to 4.11 is only one step [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] if you had 3.42 like I was assuming it would make a HUGE difference.

I did not know you had a 5.0L (thats a shame[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])
I would not spend any money on it, just drive it till it dies and replace it with a 350, and it should bolt right in!

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 04:25 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I agree with Scooby, don't spend money on the 5.0. Drive it as is (put up with it perhaps being the better term) until you can either afford to swap a 350 in or a 454 (with supercharger of course) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]... Could go with ramjet 502... If you go with too much power (s/c 454 for example) your tranny and some other parts are at risk. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

The one and only 'Sandturnip'
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 04:34 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Actually, 3:90's would be the next step. They would almost certainly put your ratio back to "like stock" with the 33's. Like scoobydoo said though, it won't be a HUGE difference, 4:10/4:11 range would be a little better than stock. I have 3:73's with 33's, and when I checked what it would take to get the ratio like stock it was 3:90's. My orig tires were 265's. One thing to think about is if you go too low, you are going to start to sacrafice gas mileage. It would be up to you to determine the "worth". You can play around with the numbers at www.4lo.com and see what you think may suit your needs. They have the calculator that will show you what your true ratio is now, with the gears and tires that you are running. Plug in the newer ratio's, like 4:10 to get an idea of what it will do for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode