4x4 actuator - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

4x4 actuator

My thermal actuator finally kicked the bucket! The new unit is a mechanical/electrical actuator, cost me $114. I looked at the Posi Lock and didn't like the lever idea.

Anyone put this new actuator into their axle? Any input or advice?? Does the brown wire go to the brown on the transfer case?

1996 2Dr. 4X4 Tahoe, 350 Vortec, 3.73 gears, Magnaflow 3" Catback, Airaid Intake, and a bent front diff. skid plate! (Stock susp. on 255/85's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:53 PM
NEO

Re: 4x4 actuator

I did this on my truck not too long ago. Do a search and you will find detailed info on how to install the new parts.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 03:27 PM

WHAT...you fdont like the posi-lok? thats outlandish. i have it and i looooove it. i know its engaged...i know it wirks...and it can not fail. and even if the cable braks or soemthing, i can still rig it to give me 4WD if neded. simpler is better. nad i dont like having electric stuff down in the mud and water and what not

---Peacock posted this
<font color=red>'96, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train,</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 04:21 PM

Did you get the new wiring harness with the actuator? Everything should just plug right in. Also, there's a spacer that goes in the diff before you screw in the new actuator, make sure you got that or your axles still won't lock.
Enjoy,

Mark

'96 Chevy Z71 extended cab, 6" Dick Cepek lift on 35's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Yep, got the harness and the steel plug/spacer.

1996 2Dr. 4X4 Tahoe, 350 Vortec, 3.73 gears, Magnaflow 3" Catback, Airaid Intake, and a bent front diff. skid plate! (Stock susp. on 255/85's)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 01:03 AM

I have the parts to install too.
The actuator itself is a no brainer.
But the new GM pigtail.....

I was told to use a brown wire from the top of the transfer case???????? Yeah there are a lot of wires up there, some are hard to get at. Which brown wire???????

And if you want to run the brown wire (new pigtail) up by the starter and over the trans like stock, let me tell you, getting at the bolt that clamps the harness next to the trans housing sucks!

I checked with my multi-meter the other night, when you shift from 2wd to 4wd the light blue wire that plugs into the stock actuator goes from 0v to ~+12v. Now if you can use this wire instead of splicing back to the trans case then it gets a whole lot easier.

I mean do you need to chase the brown wire (stock pigtail)all the way back just to cut it off and use some other brown wire from the trans case?

I asked this same question a while back and got no response.

So, anyone with a wiring diagram for a 96 K1500, what is the brown wire that plugs into the stock actuator? Which brown wire on the transfer case should I use?

96 Black Z71 Extended Cab
http://www.wright.edu/~adams.41/truck2.jpg
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 02:50 AM
sayl4u

My dads went t/u last fall and I replaced it with a Rancho Shureshift and it lasted about a 1000 miles,replaced it wit a napa part for $55. the Rancho part was $119.99

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode