rear tire carrier ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:14 PM
heavychevy1

rear tire carrier ??

looking for a rear tire carrier that will bolt to the frame as well as the bumper for a 95 fs chevy xtend cab, and will fit a 35x12.5 tire. i hunt & fish so need all the bed space i can use! thanks pete

95 chevy xtend cab, 6"tm cutouts 35x14.5x15 on 15x10 hellcats.350 gibson catback,chip,k&n
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:52 PM

Re: rear tire carrier ??

I think your best bet will be 1 of the following:

Do like Bigblue here did and use an angled pre runner type carrier (leaves almost no bed to use)

Build your own that mounts like what you see on the back of a dodge power wagon

Buy the reciever hitch tire carrier made for 88-98 blazers and such. (good choice, but you have to have a reciever hitch.) -- I'll look around for the maker's name, sorry I can't remember now.

I guess for now (you're probably doing it anyway) you could just toss it in the bed.

I've also heard of people putting it under the bed in the stock location. I know, you're thinking I'm crazy if I think you can fit a 35 in there. The people I talked to stored it nearly flat and squashed it in so it would fit, when needed you use onboard air or an emergency air pump to inflate the tire.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

<font color=red>Nearly no mods...lots to come[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 10:38 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I have a 33-12.50-15 mounted in my stock spare location under the bed. It is fully aired up and I just went out and checked, it has more than an inch all the way around it. I don't know if there is any difference between the years ( I would think not ). I would think that you could mount it there, aired up even. The only thing you may even come close to touching is your drivers side rear shock....but it should clear. Like I said, I looked, and mine has enough room that a 35 should fit. Just give it a try, and see what happens, all you will waste is a little time if it does not work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:34 AM

Here is a pic that sort of shows the spare in the stock hanger.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-698307-dsc_068.jpg (63.8 KB, 0 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:36 AM

Heres another, neither are that great, but you get an idea.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-698309-dsc_069.jpg (59.0 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:40 PM
heavychevy1

thanks for your help guys, i saw what i was looking for kinda on a oru website. it was on their lifted sub.e-mailed them on it, but, no answer.just keep looking i guess.

95 chevy xtend cab, 6"tm cutouts 35x14.5x15 on 15x10 hellcats.350 gibson catback,chip,k&n,14 bolt sf w/detroit lkr
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 10:57 PM

If you would provide a link to this picture or page in which you saw this product, I or someone else here could probably identify it unless it's a custom job. I looked all over ORu's site and didn't see it.

<font color=red>Nearly no mods...lots to come[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a buddy who put 35x12.50-15 w/15x10 wheel under there...stock hanger. His exhaust was custom made, but before he tried that. Luckily, it worked. When I look at it, I really don't see much difference from all those dual rear exit exhaust kits out there. It should fit. I can't think of any other differences. His is a '97 with 6" TM...LWB, so the 34 gallon gas tank. Don't think I'm forgetting anything.

Coop

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:17 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Keep in mind, that although its a good place to mount a tire, putting it underneath may cause it to go blewy on a rock, well maybe your not into that kind of thing. Anyway, just a thought.

http://usor.topcities.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:17 PM

I've heard these guys make one that will fit our trucks, and it's frame mounted too. Options such as jerry can and hi lift holders are available, and they've got an OK looking front winch bumper too (never heard if they make one for our trucks though).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode