Funky Steering on 96 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Funky Steering on 96

Hey all, on my 96 1 ton, when I'm idleing, I have to crank the steering wheel with both hands like I have absolutely no power steering at all, but as soon as I barely touch the gas pedal it's back to normal. It doesn't happen when in park or neutral, sine the rpm's are 100 or so higher than when in drive or reverse. Did GM come out with that speed sensitive steering in 96 or 97? Anyway, do I need a new pump or what? Cause, it will be replaced when I do the sfa swap but thats a ways away, I just wanna know if theres a quick fix. Having no power steering makes it tough when backing a 40 foot gooseneck trailer thats 8.5' wide through a driveway thats 9' wide.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 06:45 PM

Re: Funky Steering on 96

If you want to see if it gets better when you disable the speed sensitive steering you need to pull fuse #21(10 amp) I think (if you have factory security this may cause problems). Of course you need to make sure fluid level is OK, and everything is visually OK (you knew that).

Why are you changing the pump for the SFA? Going with rock ram?

I think the 96's and 97's are the same through and through.(may be wrong)

later,
KS2

<font color=red>Nearly no mods...lots to come[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I checked the resevoir and it's full and no sign of any leaks anywhere, it's nice and clean. Yeah, I am going with the Rock Ram system. I was just wondering if theres something I can do for now to take care of it. The 96's had the variable steering?

Jason
Big Willy Style

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 10:06 PM

I think they did put that odd steering crap in the 96's. To be sure check the specified fuse in my other post, it should say something like.....10A...security/stg. And if you do not have a factory security system you can remove this fuse. The removal of this fuse will set the variable speed steering to it's "default" state, which should be about normal for most trucks. I pulled this fuse because the damn thing almost killed me (I like it better now anyway, so I'm not fixing it).

Let me know what happens when you yank the fuse (you've got me curious now).

<font color=red>Nearly no mods...lots to come[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Lol, ok, I'll go down and check it right now, it doesn't have a security system stock but it does have factory keyless but I don't use it since I have a real alarm.

Jason
Big Willy Style

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Ok, nope, I don't have that fuse, the space 21 and 22 are empty and not labeled. Nothing under that name either. I'll check through my diagrams too see if theres any kinda sensors or anything on the steering. Anyway, guess I can live with it till the sfa swap.

Jason
Big Willy Style

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 10:57 PM

There won't be any sensors on the steering. Sinse you don't have the "computer will kill you" steering system I probably shouldn't even post this, but oh well. The Vehicle speed sensor (on back of transfer case) tells your computer how fast the truck is going, when your MPH hits certain pre determined speeds the computer changes the steering (stiffer as speed increases). I think there is a valve that the computer operates to "turn down" the fluid pressure, that makes you have to try harder to turn the wheel. While I'm not sure exactly how that last part works, I think that's where the failure on mine occured.

Another thought I had was that maybe you've got water in the system and at low rpm's the pump isn't able to move the water (where it hits a thinner fluid and just spins - similar to a waterlogged tranny). Or maybe the vanes in the pump are just shot (improperly assembled in mexico or something).

Just because it might help me think about it a little better, I'd like to know what were your observations when this occured? (noises, clunks, vibrations - and where you think they came from) If you didn't experience anything odd - I'm lost.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Nope nothing strange. I've noticed ever since I bought it 5 months or so ago. Only happens when in gear and ideling. I'm assuming it's just the pump is shot. Oh well, it won't be there long. Especially since I just got a call on the black truck by a guy that has cash in hand from insurance company and he says he wants to test drive it tomorrow[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. Hope he buys it, I need a dana 60!!!

Jason
Big Willy Style

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a 98 that did the same thing; turning a corner, about halfway through, the steering sticks for a second, scaring the hell outa me, then loosens up past where it was before. I crawled under the truck and disconnected the plug from the bottom of my pump, and everything's OK now, 'cept the default setting is a little TOO power for my liking. I suppose I'll get a trouble code if I plug into a diagnostic, but no extra lights on the dash.

Thanx
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 05:06 PM

My dads 97 S-10 does that too.

'83 GMC Seirra Classic 4x4 w/ 379 C.I. diesel, NP 208, 10 bolts, 235 Wild Spirits, Turbo from a International 966 tractor.(in process of rebuilding)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode