Waterproofing the Diff! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Waterproofing the Diff!

I have at many times filled up my tranny, and differentials with water, and its a pain in the a$$ to change all of the fluids!

Do any of ya'll have your truck water proofed, or any suggestions for this problem?

thanks

http://www.geocities.com/supaflie/wxl.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Waterproofing the Diff!

Don't know about the new ones, but mine has a breather line that runs off of the rear and front diffs. If these are cracked, broken, or not on there at all, run new lines from the diffs (leaving plenty of slack for suspension travel) down the frame rails up the fire wall and in a 180 circle pointing back at the ground. I think mine are like 1/2 inch fuel line and I used conduit clips and sheetmetal screwed them into the frame and firewall. My diffs are a nice gear oil brown 6 months and a lot of 4 wheelin in water later.

As far as the tranny, is it an auto or manual? An auto should be sealed all over or it would be leaking everywhere. If it is a manual, it is probably a dust boot off or screwed up somewhere.

'85 GMC High Sierra-305ci,700R4,33x12.50's,
ezlocker front and detroit rear
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 03:28 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I have also seen people mount things like tennis ball cans,the plastic ones, upside down. You can paint 'em black to match the engine compartment better, then they run all their breather lines up into the bottom. With the can/bottle upside down it makes that nice little air pocket, like a diving bell, if the water gets up high enough. Another thing I have seen, but don't know of I trust, is some people have been known to put baby bottle niples on the vent tube. They remove the rubber line all together and run only the nipple. The claim is that the little hole allows the pressure out, but does not let the water in. I have heard that it works, but have never been brave enough to try it out. Anyway, that's just some stuff I have seen.....for what it's worth.

---------------------
I should have mentioned they mount those cans under the hood, on the firewall........but you probably figured that out by now.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

thanks for the replies, yeah I have an automatic, and somehow it was flooded, barely drove anywhere, but I drained it as soon as i got home!

http://www.geocities.com/supaflie/wxl.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 04:17 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

unless your axle is sealed tight (immaculate pinion and tube seals as well as cover) the vacuum created by not letting any air in will just suck the water in.

i, myself, always run the tube up on top of the wheelwell in the back and inside the front fender in the front. i figure it's splash proof and i've got bigger problems than water in the axles (like the motor) if i'm in water that deep.

"The difference between a yooper and a lowper is that a yooper oil change involves just changing the filter whereas a lowper oil change involves just changing the oil."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 04:19 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

the dipstick tube is notorious for letter water in where it hooks to the transmission.

"The difference between a yooper and a lowper is that a yooper oil change involves just changing the filter whereas a lowper oil change involves just changing the oil."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast

All automatics have a vent tube........has to or it would blow all the seals out very time it got hot.Its usually up on top ,small piece of steel tubing coming out of the case.Very easy to hook a rubber line to to get it up into engine conpartment and out of the water.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 12:45 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Some autos have vents in the front of the tranny too, very hard to get to though, it's behind the torque converter. A buddy of mine ruined a brand new tranny that he thought was vented correctly when water got sucked in through the other vent.

Evan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Ugly Brown Truck v2.0 coming soon(ish)!</font color=green>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 07:34 PM

well on a stock jeep wrangler, they vent up right above the radiator i nthe front. I'm not sure about teh rear. my lil sis just got a new one and wondered what she was supposed to put in "that tube thingy." i wouldnt recomend i, but to waterproof it you could just weld the whole thing up nad it'd be prety water-tight...but like i said, i dont know why you'd want to do that...just a though...a poor one at that.

---Peacock posted this
<font color=red>'96, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train,</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode