Loose Tie Rod Ends - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Loose Tie Rod Ends

you know, i'm about sick of adding up more and moreIFS replacment parts [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] granted, there's 138k on the truck, but, crap.....

anyway, my tie rod ends are loose at the centerlink joint and at the lower ball joint. so what the heck am i going to have to do to fix this? i'm not going to have to replace the whole centerlink, am i?

oh yeah, my steering box is leaking real nice there at the pitman arm. how do i go about fixing that?

so far, my replacement list is rotors/pads, U/L balls joints, oil line, front diff seals, rear pinion seal, tie rod ends, and pitman arm mess. i wanted to get all this stuff done when i install my lift over spring break. but the way its looking, i'm not going to get to enjoy my truck because i'll be fixing the dang thing [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

anyone wanna donate spare change to the Short on Funds Foundation? i need that stuff listed about, plus new wheels and tires [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

The Pair

Crank 'em 1" - measure first!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 02:59 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Loose Tie Rod Ends

Hmmmmm..........I doubt the centerlink is worn. I've delivered a couple of those, and they are VERY big and beefy. Heavy too.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Could be though, are the holes on the end worn?

The tie rod ends could be loose where they screw into the adjuster sleeve, but I doubt it. My bet would be the ball joint is so worn out that the whole assembly feels loose. Could be wrong though.

You know what I say, Moog parts for everything you can get Moog replacement parts for.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Lifetime warranty too. Wish I had known that the first time and kept my receipt for them. Woulda just saved me $275 or so.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Their stuff is SO much better made than the GM stuff and MUCH better than most of the other aftermarket stuff. They even make a centerlink.

Wouldn't it be the "Shorts on Funds Foundation"?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sell you my 15x8 steelies for dirt cheap if you're interested, they're just sitting here not doing anything right now, and I'm more than likely never going to do anything with them.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Chrome sucks
285/75R16, 255/85R16, & 305/70R16 fit on a stock GM IFS fullsize 4x4 truck when on the stock 16x7 rims.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

lol yeah [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

the centerlink is nice 'n solid in the pitman and idler arms, but if i grab a tie rod and twist it...well, it twists. they're not loose in the adjuster sleeve, as i was hoping that's where it would be. sadly, its the joints [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] so are they just pressed/screwed into the centerlink with greasable ball-type joints? chilton's didn't say how to replace them...unless its not in the K-series steering section.

MOOG is definitely going to make me a honorary team member or something with all the money i'm going to hand them [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

The Pair

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 06:54 PM
BigBlueZ71

man I must just be lucky, 139k on mine and no problems. maybe if i looked under there somethin might be loose. so, i wont be looking under there because I cannot afford to fix anything right now

"CAPTAIN CHROME OF THE SPONGY IFS"
1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 07:05 PM

the tie rods are going to twist shorts , you really need 2 people 1 to wiggle the steering wheel back and forht 1under the truck that way you can pinpoint the problem the seals in the gear box can be replace but you no if you replace the hole gearbox off with a 95 up you get get better steering steers easyer . just a thought

<font color=red>And yes if you dont no it buy now i cant spell LOL!</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 09:07 PM
Mud in my Veins

I forget how the tie rods attach to the centerlink. It's dark out, so I'll look tomorrow.

I know the feeling about leaks. I was outside today loading up some stuff into the Blazer and noticed something on the ground under the truck. Two small stains of oil, but fresh.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Looks like I have oil coming off the back of the engine and down the bellhousing.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Doesn't look like the valve covers either. This could be rather annoying.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Chrome sucks
285/75R16, 255/85R16, & 305/70R16 fit on a stock GM IFS fullsize 4x4 truck when on the stock 16x7 rims.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

heres a pic out of my manual

also the center link shouldnt ware out because its solid, the only thing that could maybe are out is the metal it self it may be kinda reamed out but I doubt that, Id bet you plays in the idler & pitman arms. and the tie rod ends

Id price everything though and see how much the center link and tie rod ends are running and replace them all at ounce.

I wouldnt even crawl under there to check the idler, its most certainly shot[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

trucks suck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-697107-center.jpg (7.3 KB, 5 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 11:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shorts-

I went to heim ends for my steering a while back. No hassle...little wear, much stronger. Go to a good offroad shop, and they can order them for you...bring a rod end if you can so they can size it up. As far as the centerlink....you can do heims with those two, just thread out either side...weld on a grade 8 threaded sleeve, and you're in business. You can also get heim ends with Delrin bushings...no wear at all over 5 years. Killer stuff but $$$$. Just my .02

Ryno

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 02:25 AM
SHOTGUN

I know how ya feel shorts. I got my Dodge (pictured) with 123K on it (just past broke in for a Cummins) but I need some new front end stuff too! Geeessshhhh a new trac bar is gonna cost me around $200 looks like[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img], but at least I can install it myself! Yeah my power steering leaks too I gotta find out how to fix it. I finally put fluid in it one day after remembering hearing the all familiar sound. Fixed it right away! Until the next day![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] But its not so bad that it has to have some everyday. Oh well I'll figure it out. Oh yeah and I've already had the front axle end U-joints replaced thinking they were what was causing the popping noise my trac bar was making!Grrr![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Man all this makes it really hard to have money for the K20, especially since my next months payment is due this Friday![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I was gonna sell my old chrome spokes I took off the Dodge and use that to true dual my K20 after I get my headers on, but looks like it will go towards a trac bar for the Dodge!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-697315-BlkTruck.jpg (62.3 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

so they're suppose to twist? hmm...ok hehe [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] the grease seal on the dside tierod-centerlink connection is broken....there's fresh grease aroundt he edges.

on the steering box, to replace it with a 95up box, is that easier than just doing the seal? will i have to mess with anything else dropping in the new box other than reconnecting the ps lines and pitman arm? do i need to replace the steering staft anywhere?

The Pair

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode