BOP, Chevy, pwrtrain/drivetrain q's... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

BOP, Chevy, pwrtrain/drivetrain q\'s...

OK, I have a deal from the diesel shop (school) to get a Chevy gas 350, Jasper T350 Tranny, 208(?) t-case for $300,and it ran good when pulled. I asked If I could convert one of the Olds 5.7 Diesels upstairs to gas, and get the tranny, t-case for the same price, teacher didn't care. Different tranny bolt pattern, bellhousing is part of the case on the T350. Found a guy who will trade me his Olds Cutlass T400 straight up. Question: if I take the T400 tailshaft off, will it bolt up to the t-case fine? This will be going in a 3/4ton(of fun) S10 Blazer mudder I plan on building.

Kevin

<font color=red>No fears, no regrets, just a future with a promise.</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Wrecked my '89 XJ</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 02:16 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: BOP, Chevy, pwrtrain/drivetrain q\'s...

I doubt it, probably have to get a shaft of the correct spline count to make the BOP 400 and the NP208 mesh up. Not to mention it's a car tranny, so the housing isn't as strong as a 4x4 tranny.

You could just get one of the BOP/GM bellhousing adapters out of JEGs for $50 or so and keep the TH350. Those diesel Olds 350's are monsters after conversino to gas.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] How much power you looking at making?

Chrome sucks
285/75R16, 255/85R16, & 305/70R16 fit on a stock GM IFS fullsize 4x4 truck when on the stock 16x7 rims.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

I need to check for sure to see if the 400 and the 208 will mesh. I would like to keep the Jasper tranny, but whatever works for the cheapest amount is the winner! What does this adapter consist of, just a plate with two bolt patterns? How thick is it usually? I might be able to get a friend to make an adapter in CNC/CAD class at school, what metal would be best? Also, if there was a spacer/adapter, the input splines on the tranny wouldn't touch as much of the tc, right? or is there a way to correct that, like longer tc to flywheel bolts and spacers there too? I don't really know how much powere there will be, but there's gonna be a lot with 350 gas heads on that hog!

Kevin

<font color=red>No fears, no regrets, just a future with a promise.</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Wrecked my '89 XJ</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 08:14 AM

i at one time was looking into putting a 350 olds in my s10, and was told that it is a major PIA and not really worth it. some of the things were is the starter is on the other side of the frame so you have to notch it out, there are no headders made to fit it, since you have to notch the frame, you have to move the fuel lines... also, if it is a pre 89, i beleive, the frame is not as wide in the front, they made it wider for the 4.3L, so it is harder, not impossible, to put a v8 in them... just some food for thought....

Craig

'Mud Duck' 89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts
99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode