Oil leak - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Oil leak

I feel like i'm being ripped off. My truck was fine, no leaks or anything, i installed a K&N intake and the next day brought it to Western Auto for an oil change. An hour after I got home from Western Auto i noticed an oil leak, which was not there before. So today i brought the truck back to Western Auto asked them to fix the oil leak they most likely started. The mechanic came back and told me that he had put dy in the oil and found that the leak is coming from the oil cooler lines, oil relocator, Lower radiator hose, Thermostat, and the intake manifold. Now, I don't know a whole lot about trucks but this seems like a hellva lot of bull to me. How can an oil change make all those things leak? How can I stop this new leak? Has any one had similar problems with Western Auto? Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 08:41 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Oil leak

intake manifold, thermostat, and lower radiator hose eh?

am i the only one that sees a problem here?

a normal person would find the leak themselves instead of having some goofball stick dye in the oil. crawl under the vehicle and have a look-see and then fix the problem. there's a good chance the source is the oil filter.

"The difference between a yooper and a lowper is that a yooper oil change involves just changing the filter whereas a lowper oil change involves just changing the oil."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 08:44 PM

looks to me like you're gonna need a new engine. if you have oil leaking out of heater hoses and T-stats...you're strugglin more than you think.

---Peacock posted this
<font color=red>'96, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train,</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

I did climb under the truck an noticed that it was dripping down the front of the oil pan. But i don't know enough about trucks to feel comfortable messing with things.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 09:08 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

find out where exactly it's coming from. if you have to, wipe all the oil and crud off and let it run for a while and then try to track it down.

depending on how bad it is, you can either leave it and let it leak or have it replaced.

"The difference between a yooper and a lowper is that a yooper oil change involves just changing the filter whereas a lowper oil change involves just changing the oil."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm having an oil leak as well all around my filter. Do like they said. I wiped it all off, and will give it a few days, then look and see. I fear I tightened the filter way too much last time I changed the oil...stupid stupid. I hope that's all it is.

In the meantime, go back to Western Auto, hit that dude in the head with a pipe wrench 11 times and ask him to find the leak in his skull. Bet he won't use dye...might even show a little sense of urgency.

Not to bust on you...unfortunately, millions of people have to rely on service centers for one reason or another....good thing you came to us. If the guy is telling the truth, you have serious problems. Hopefully, he's just smoking crack like most of 'em these days.

signed - disgruntled

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 09:54 PM

elk muncher, are you a c-130 pilot (herk-driver.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Uh-Oh...they're on to me. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Yes, that's what I get paid to do, anyway.

Why?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 10:10 PM

just wondering, never herd it being called a herk-driver. i take it your at dyess.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 10:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Huh, funny considering you're surrounded by MC's and HC's. How you like Kirtland?

Yes, Dyess....wish I were there though...closer to home.

Sorry all you others...very O/T here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode