Steering noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 05:04 PM
BigBlueZ71

Steering noise

Its been doing this for a while. If I am stopped, like in my driveway, and I turn the wheel, a hissing noise starts up. I checked the fluid, its full, maybe too full, but i wouldn't think that would make a difference. I changed the power steering hoses a few months back when one started leaking. But this noise started up about 2 months ago or so and I have just ignored it until now. figured it may become a problem if I dont find out whats up. anybody else have this or have ever had this?

"CAPTAIN CHROME OF THE SPONGY IFS"
1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 07:20 PM
bigwishlist

Re: Steering noise

mine does that to. When I turn the steering wheel enough on make the tires move I hear a noise. My buddy heard it to and asked if my power steering was going. It got me wondering if it was the begining of the end for my power steering.

94,silverado,1500,Xcab,4x4,31x10.5R15 - 96 ZJ laredo 4x4 2"Lift,31x10.5R15 bfgAT/KO, k&n
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 09:39 PM

blue, im in the same boat. mine does it all the time, im not sure if it the pump no supplying enough flow, or if its the steering box leaking internally.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 10:40 PM

I hear lots of cars and trucks do this. I think its normal...as long as nothing is borken, I'd say your fine. You'll definately know it if the pump goes out.

90K5

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 10:47 PM

well on mine it started out wining all the time, now it feels like the pump aint putting out enough flow because once in a while it feels like i have no power steering for about 2 sec. then it catches up and back to wining.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 2000 does make more noise than it should but a bigger issue is the lack of power it has to turn 35's. Im not sure why but it often feels like I paid extra for manual steering.

ooZ714x4 chevy thunder air,fuel,spark
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 10:54 PM

00z71 i think thats what wore out my steering, im running 33 12.5. i think they make a high out put pump, but dont take my word for it

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 12:19 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well, you are always going to get a little noise when you are stopped and turn the wheels. I think that's normal. If it sounds really strange or really catches your attention then maybe you have a problem. The only prob I have with my steering is that damn sensor that adjusts the steering for speed. Some of you know what I'm talking about. Mine does that thing where you get in one day and it is normal....and then another time it will be really sensative. Sometimes I'm afraid to sneeze when I'm chuggin' down the road at 80...LOL[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I need to get off my duff and get a new one for it.....someday[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] It actually does not do it much anymore....maybe it fried.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 12:44 AM

should it be louder then my Motor, it was when i took my GMC to the shop at school today?

'83 GMC Seirra Classic 4x4 w/ 379 C.I. diesel, NP 208, 10 bolts, 235 Wild Spirits, Turbo from a International 966 tractor.(in process of rebuilding)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 12:49 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Louder than an 83 diesel? probably not. Are you sure the belt is not slipping?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode