Used Hypertech's any good - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 04:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Used Hypertech\'s any good

They're website claims the programmer will "marry itself" to the vehicle you first program with it. They make one to cover several engines of the same year, and the unit just reads your VIN when you first use it. I know you can switch that truck back and forth from stock after that, but will it re-learn a different engine?

I see them used on e-bay, though. Anyone have one? What does it say? Anyone tried this?

I have a buddy with a '99 half ton 5.3L. He's gonna trade that truck in soon, and said he will give me his old Hypertech for free basically. Will it work??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Used Hypertech\'s any good

be careful, what it does is take the stock parameters and put them in the programmer and put its program on the vehicle. So a person could sell you a used programer with their vehicle info on it, and it would not mate up to your vin code.
But once your buddy puts his vehicle back to stock with it, its like a new unit. It will work fine on yours so enjoy

DJ(dude)

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 06:01 PM
Old Hand

Re: Used Hypertech\'s any good

I have a Hypertech Programmer for my 97 chevy z71 and 97 chevy suburban both 5.7L and I am always swapping the programming from my truck to my suburban depending on which car I am going to drive etc. They will work and any engine they are specified for but not any other ones, like my programmer wont work on a 98 5.7L

http://www.geocities.com/supaflie/wxl.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 04:24 PM

Daddy wants a used Hypertech too!

I need to adjust my speedo/odometer anyway which is gonna cost me 150 at least. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Hypertech Programmer III, anyone got one for a '96 5.7L they want to part with. The new ones are bucks$$$$$$, are they really worth it?. ps. damn muncher, journeyman already eh
Gracias,
Mark

'96 Chevy Z71 extended cab, 6" Dick Cepek lift on 35's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 11:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Daddy wants a used Hypertech too!

Check ebay. Can't remember if I saw one for a '96 or not. The ones I did see for my truck were at like $359 with a "buy it now" for $369.

Might as well buy new. Worth a shot.

ps - Look at that? Wow, that was quick. I better spend more time at work and less here with you guys, or I'll turn out like willys....no life...LOL....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]j/k!

Coop

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 11:30 AM

Just make sure that the product numbers watch up. They may have changed a few things from '99 to '02. I would check a website that sells them, get the product number for your truck and the product number for his truck and make sure they match up. They like $350-$400 new, so you couldn't beat the deal that he's giving you. If you don't want it, tell him that I'll take it off his hands. Send me a PM if you don't want it, I'll offer some cash for it.

'02 Silverado 1/2 ton ext. cab, 8.5mm MSD, more to come
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I already did. Product # 390302 covers all Vortecs in '99, so we're good I think. I'll make sure what he actually has. He just offered last weekend when we were at the bar. Might not even remember the conversation[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. I'll check though...you got dibs, but I'll probably take it anyway.

BTW, it won't work on your '02 I don't think.

Coop

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode