tranny issues - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 08:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

tranny issues

I think luck is on your side Big Red. I have a 00 chevy with the 4L60E, and from day one. Right off the show room floor when it has a mind to, R will not engage it just sits there, rev it up and nothing. The darn thing, when locked in 2nd I have to hit 1500 rpm before it will start to roll, and some times when I think Im being nice to it. She feels like a big boot in the rear. I have been into the dealer several times for them to look at it and get the same answer every time. They don't see anything wrong and there is nothing they can do under warranty until is fails 100%. I have changed the filter and I check to see if the fluid is tops on a regular basis. If anyone has a clue as to why chevy would use such a POS A/T ? or how to get it replaced under warranty I would like to hear about it. Thanks

ooZ714x4 chevy thunder air,fuel,spark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 09:52 AM
72dreamer

Re: tranny issues

i'd try yanking on a tree that you know is not gonna budge, in overdrive. if you got a trailer, load it up and haul it around town then go try on the highway @ 70-80mph.
that's odd they won't fix it. have you tried another dealer? i was able to do that for my uncle's truck. i brought it with me for a week and got it fixed at a much more competent service center while under warranty.

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 11:21 AM

WOW i must be lucky...Lets all pray that my luck contiues[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] All these horror stories are starting to make me worry now...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I've been thinking that when my finally kicks the can, i'll replace it with a JET Tranny.. Anyone here installed one of there Trannys?? and if so have you had any problems with it?? Do you recommned it or just going to a local shop and having it re-built using some higher performace parts?

Thanks, and sorry to hear bout your problems Z714x4

1993 K15 Blazer Pro Comp Stg. II 6"lift - 35x12.50 BFG's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 01:06 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I had mine built to Jet standards in Aug. I had a problem just last week, but it was a faulty solaniod....not much anyone could do to prevent it. They replaced it and it is back to shifting great. The build up was cheaper because if you get a Jet.....you have to have it shipped, installed. It startes to add up fast. I'm really happy with my rebuild, the guy that did it knew all about Jet and said he would do mine the same with some additional upgrades that he thinks Jet should do, but that they do not. He went into some long tranny lingo that was over my head, and I figured this was the place to get it done at. The solaniod was replaced under warranty, at no cost to me. They gave me a 15,000 mile/15 month warranty, which I thought was pretty respectable.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 01:15 PM

Just out of curiosity how much did it cost you? And what all additional upgrades did they do to it?

Thanks

1993 K15 Blazer Pro Comp Stg. II 6"lift - 35x12.50 BFG's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 02:35 PM

yup, either pull on something that wont budge and roast the insides, or draun out a significant amount of fluid...then drive it till it sh!ts on you. put the fluid back in and then call the wrecker to tow you to the shop.

---Peacock posted this
<font color=red>'96, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train,</font color=red>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 03:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I purchased a Jet Tranny from Summit Racing. It cost 1800 with a large B&M tranny cooler and some redline synthetic. The guy I had install it charged 379, 90 of it was parts. He even found some bad U-joints and tooth missing from the flywheel and replaced them. Not cheap but damnit it better last forever. Next will be the engine. What did you pay to have your crate put in?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 05:11 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

It cost me I think about 1700. The Jet, back in August, was going for 2100 on sale. I talked to Jet on the phone and that was the price they gave me, plus shipping which I don't remember. About another 250-300 to install here in town. As far as the upgrades...everything that Jet does...don't have a clue as to what extra they did. Some of the stuff includes: exrta clutches in the 3-4 packs, kevlar bands,corvette servo piston,updated solaniods,valve body modification (drilling) to allow more fluid flow,shift kit,perf. torque conv.,extra heavy duty trans cooler (has extreme flow to keep up with vavle body mods), I guess thats about all I can think of.....I'm no tranny expert. I'm sure theres more than that but I wouldn't know all of it anyway. It has the firm shift everyone is always after. I like it, but I'm gettin' older and am happy with the way it shifted when stock[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. I do like it though, it seems to make good use of the Hp, and the quick firm shifts are better on your tranny anyway. It's not like a radical shift...just quick and firm. It's not slamming the rearend around or anything. I know one thing, that sucker winds up like Noland Ryan and spits you out in front when you want to pass someone....I can live with that.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode