y2k chevy 5.3 making a nocking noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 08:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

y2k chevy 5.3 making a nocking noise

I purchased the truck new late September 2000. After about 5,000 miles the 5.3 started to knock like a rod bearing going out. I now have 30k on the truck and it has gotten louder and is more prevalent first time the truck gets started for the day. I have had the dealership look at it but all they tell me is that the 5.3 has a uniqe sound and the there diags did not see anything wrong. I have been around motors all my life and the only time I have herd this sound is when a rod bearing is going out. Has anyone else with a 5.3 experienced this?

ooZ714x4 chevy thunder air,fuel,spark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 08:24 AM

Re: y2k chevy 5.3 making a nocking noise

I saw something on the local news a while back about some 5.3L owner who had a rod bearing going on his truck. The truck was still under warranty and Chevy would not fix it. Supposedly, the 99-00 5.3L had something faulty on the insides and Chevy won't cover fixing it.

'02 Silverado 1/2 ton ext. cab, mods to come
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 08:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info, I have looked up tech papers for the 5.3 and found a very vague detail that said the 99-01 have an incorrect clearance set for the rod bearing & main cap bearings and that they are prone to failure. I have also seen some info but very little on the 4L60E (R)valve body being defective. Im starting to think I might change my mind obout being a chevy guy!!

ooZ714x4 chevy thunder air,fuel,spark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 08:49 AM

Yeah, I can't believe Chevy is not fixing it either. It's their screw up and all they're doing is giving people like yourself second thoughts about their next new vehicle!

'02 Silverado 1/2 ton ext. cab, mods to come
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 11:15 AM

Yea but it's not just chevy that does that. It's all car companies ford, dodge, honda, toyota, everyone.

95 K2500 Silverado 350 ex cab
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes 99-00 have a known problem with the 5.3 and a friend had to sue the dealer to cover the cost of engine replacment. If the motor is knocking it will have to be replaced and the dealers do not whant to deal with this. You will most likley have to sue them to get it taken care of. Also report them to the bettr buissness bueral. The dealers and factor know there is a problem and they will do what ever it takes to not pay for the engine replacment. The engine will die soon if it is knocking.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 12:35 PM

My engine has been knocking for the last 20,000 miles.

95 K2500 Silverado 350 ex cab
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 12:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They say these trucks will make some noise like that during acceleration or climbing hills. I noticed it on mine ever since I bought it new. However, it seems to be getting louder...actually almost like a completely seperate pinging going on. I'm having the codes run soon hopefully to see what it could be. Possibly a faulty knock sensor allowing some detonation to happen. That's what mine sounds like. You would know your truck better than anyone, though.

Not any help, just letting you know I've got a '99 with something similar going on. Never heard of that 5.3 specific problem, personally. Hope you don't get screwed by those guys, and I'll let you know if I find my problem.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2002, 01:17 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well, so far (7000 miles) my wifes Tahoe has not started....and I hope that it doesn't. I'll be keeping an ear open for it though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode