Off Subject - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Off Subject

Im looking at places to mount my cd changer. I had it wedged in b/t the drivers seat and center console. I didnt like that, so i mounted it in front of the center console. I would like to have it under the drivers seat, but how do i go about drilling in there due to the angle? Should i take the seat off and drill, or what else should i do? Any help would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 12:19 AM
BigBlueZ71

Re: Off Subject

I mounted mine IN the console. dont know what you use yours for, but mine was just for tossin papers and stuff. I just removed the cup holder that slides in and out of the back. ran the CD changer wire from the back of the receiver, under the doorplate, and then ran it across the carpet behind the front drivers side seat and up into the bottom of the console, cut a small notch in the felt bottom of the console, and attached it to the changer. very easy to do I can tell you everything you need to know about doing it yourself. that is, assuming the console is the same as mine, i have no clue about the newer styles.

"CAPTAIN CHROME OF THE SPONGY IFS"
1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Your 94 console's is much bigger than mine. I placed the changer in my grandparents 94 burban and it fits perfectly in there. But in my 97, i will need to hack at the sides inside the console to fit it in. I tried my best to get it in there only cause it makes the most sense to be in there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 12:29 AM
BigBlueZ71

ahhhh ok. Yeah, I am glad I installed in the console because I can lock it up when I go to work and stuff. not that it would take much to open it but still, keeps it out of view.

"CAPTAIN CHROME OF THE SPONGY IFS"
1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 12:34 AM

I stick em in the 95+ consoles all the time yuk. If you pull the inner liner out, it just pulls out with some force, cut the bottom open enough for the changer to slide through, then just shove er in and screw it down. I usually make a faceplate out of 1/4" masonite so you just see the front of the changer and paint it black. But thats up to you. Anyway, if your doing it under the seat, then just pull the seat out, takes all of 5 minutes to do and makes a world of difference. Another neat0 groovy place is in the dash where the pass. side airbag is. Take it out and put the changer in it's place flush, but you may not want to get rid of the airbag, although must customers don't care since there in the drivers seat[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Willys, so if i go and put it in the console here is what i need to do.. Cut it to the exact dimensions of the the changer, and just slide her in their? Should i have screws lock her down? Or will she be ok, just tucked in there? Thanks

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 05:36 PM

What brand changer is it? I use Pioneers and they fit with no problem. Only have to make it deeper by cutting out bottom. If yours is too fat then you will have to notch the sides as well. And yes, screw it in place like it's supposed to be.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

It is a kenwood c717. Here is a link to one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1333932665

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 06:56 PM
Old Hand

Coolest place I have ever seen a changer was in place of the passenger side air bag in my friend's 4dr, fit right in there and had an acolite cover around it.

http://www.geocities.com/supaflie/wxl.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

The passenger side airbag would be a good spot, but i dont want to lose the airbag, ( im thinking of my passengers safety) I will do the center console. I will take some pics of my interior in a few days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode