Anyone heard of those satelite radios? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Anyone heard of those satelite radios?

I've been seeing comercials about them for a while. Sounds good, but I'd like more info on it. Is there a monthly fee? About how much should the unit cost? Are there units that do a 3 way (CD/satelite/radio)? The main reason I'm interested is that I live in BFE and need something other than those "my girl left and the cow died" type songs (counry). When the only station that's any good that I can barely get anyway is over run by that damn rap station, I sometimes wonder what keeps me from jerking the wheel to the right and running head on into a bridge beam.J/K---sortof[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Any insight on this?

<font color=red>Nearly no mods...lots to come[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 11:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anyone heard of those satelite radios?

Yeah, heard of 'em. Right now, I think most units start around 300 bucks minimum. Like most technologies like this, they will go down in price before long. The concept of the satellite phone (portable and commercial) came out a few years ago with Iridium but have decreased in price by about 80%.

Other than that, I haven't looked into them. The "XM" technology IS the radio, so I don't know if they'll give you the capability to tune in regular radio as per your 3-way (tee-hee[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) question. I can almost guarantee they will come with CD players too, though. That technology is already there, and no one would normally want anything else.

I see your problem. Getting that radio would be the equivalent of satellite TV right now. Plenty of channels to keep you busy, but local stations don't exist on it anymore. You're at the mercy of their programming.

I have no idea about monthly charges, but I am a satellite buff, and from what I've read, that couldn't be the case here. Think of it as a super radio pulling in a broad range of channels over a higher frequency range from a big transmitter in the sky. You have the box in your dash, and as long as the birds don't malfunction, you'll get a good signal. I know there are only 2 satellites, and I think it's only made for roughly a North American clientelle right now. That means they are in a geo-synchronous orbit at the least and will always cover our entire country at all times.

If you get one, let me know how you like it.

Coop

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 11:57 PM

Rebel, there are a couple different headunits right now that carry the xm technology. Pioneer, Kenwood, and one other. They do have cd capability with radio and satelite. There is a monthly charge of 9.95. But then on top of it the decks themselves cost anywhere b/t 299-500. They are nice, but i wouldnt spend the green on them. But for you it might work since you are sick of the country music.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 12:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

WOW...they do charge you, eh??? Figures. One good thing is that means they have a highly monitored system then. Hopefully, they'll launch some backups soon or have them ready on the ground in case one s^&ts the bed up there. GPS does that as well as several other constellations.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I've had some ISP problems lately and for some reason I can't log into some of my favorite sites http://ak.ar15.com for example, otherwise I would have just searched it out on hotbot. Anyway, I was hoping there wouldn't be a monthly charge (maybe there isn't) I'll be looking into this more. I'm not the CD player needing electronics junkie type, but - in this case I think I'm going to break down and do it if it meets my expectations. I need some tunes in the truck! If uncle sam doesn't dry hole me again this year maybe I can afford it.

<font color=red>Nearly no mods...lots to come[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 12:38 AM

I sell the Pioneer XM units. There a great unit. I personally love the nascar channel. I have 3 subscriptions. Free of course[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. I'm putting one in the white truck. It's all cd quality audio. And on the display it will tell you artist, cd title, and song title of what your listening too. And yes there is a monthly fee.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 01:34 AM
Mud in my Veins

it definitely beats local radio (worthless) but i dont think it can challenge mp3 cd players. and when mp3 dvd players come out, it's over... everything you've ever listened to will fit on one dvd [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 01:36 AM

Or you can get pioneers new in-dash MP3/CD/Radio player. It has a 10.2 GB hard drive built in[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. 10.2 Gigs of MP3's, Neat0. And you can upload your own avi/mpg/gif screensavers and backgrounds for the display.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 01:41 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Are you sure that's not "the cow left, and my girlfriend died"? I think I know that song.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Sounds to me like you are getting all the stations you need, you just don't know it.LOL[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 10:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i bought an aiwa cdc-mp3 deck. it works really well. the remote mounts right on the steering wheel. it works really well. can load up to 512 songs on one disk in as many different folders as you want

88 GMC Jimmy 2 Dr S-15 Sierra CLassic.
Broke College Student
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode