rear main? am i right? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rear main? am i right?

i think my rear main went bye bye, the leak started suddenly and im loosing over 2 quarts every 3000 miles, used to be well under 1 before this. the motor has 144k by now and the whole oil pan, and the trans pan is soaked in fresh motor oil, it seems to be coming out of where the torque converter is.

if i uderstand this right, the rear main is the seal that seals the crank shaft coming out of the block. i know that there is no easy way to repalce it, but are there any short cuts? or do i have to pull the entire drive train apart? does that include pulling the crank shaft out or can i replace it with just the trans off? (i know that dreamer? made a post about the front main but it went off onto maybe its hose subject) oh yeah and how long can i put this off?

Started with a 1500, got slapped around, got me a truck with a D60, 14ff, np205, currently under construction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 01:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rear main? am i right?

I think you have the 2-peice main seal. So You get buy with just replacing the lower seal, b/c the oil will leak form the LOWER seal not the upper one. so you only have to take the one main bearing cap off, and the oil pan. This is not from experiance so you might what to see what everyone else thinks about this. I got it from my shop teacher. He said it wouldn't leak from the upper seal b/c the oil sits in the bottom of the pan.

94 GMC 6" superlift 3" body
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 09:37 AM

Some time in the mid 80's, not sure exactly what year, chevy went from a two piece rear main to a one piece rear. If the truck in question is the one in your sig, then you have a one piece rear. If you have an auto tranny there is a trick that i have heard of. Replace the bell housing bolts with ones that are about two inches longer. Then unbolt the torque converter and slide the tranny back to the head of the bolts. Then take off the torque converter and flex plate. This may give you enough room to replace the seal. I dont know if this works or not, just a shortcut that I have heard of and this would be alot easier than pulling the tranny and t-case. Two quarts every 3000 mile isnt that bad of a leak. You might try dumping a can of oil stop leak in it. I dont really know that much about the stuff, whether it works or not or if it is harmfull to your engine. If you have the two piece rear main then you can change it by removing the rear bearing cap. The top seal can be removed using a special tool made for this application. Thats about all that comes to mind, hope is of some help.

1973 K20 - 350/350/205 Dana44 with large hubs/14bFF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 10:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I replaced mine when I changed the clutch.

Drop the oil pan
Take out the old rear main seal. (Yes its the two piece.) They changed over to that style in either 85 or 87.
Replace.
Replace oil pan gasket.
Replace oil pan.

If it don't fit force it, and if all else fails get a bigger hammer!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 10:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

87and up has one piece seals.easier to change.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

so i have three votes for one piece, and one for a two piece CRAP why does it have to be that way. i even bought the whatever book, it has everything on how to rebuild the motor but nothing on how to fix it or at least what the parts are like. the sliding trany idea sounds good, would still need to remove the drive shafts than, and with all the jacks i have access to, i might as well drop the whole thing (trany and t case in one piece). i would love to just take the oil pan off though.
well i guess ill go to the parts store and take a look at the seal if they have it in stock, that will sattle the two or one piece thing.
thanks (and for now ill just mark my territory around the city hehehhe)

Started with a 1500, got slapped around, got me a truck with a D60, 14ff, np205, currently under construction.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One piece. Promise.

If it don't fit force it, and if all else fails get a bigger hammer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode