please help if you can - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

please help if you can

this is a copy of the post i made over o nthe dodge board. there hasn't been a single post made on over a day there....what the heck is that all about?

hello everyone,
I'm a regular on the chevy full-sized board, but i have a dodge question. a friend of mine in the army has a 95 dodge ram 2500 with the V-10 gasser in it. he's looking to lift in and wants to know the best way to go. I know on our chevy IFS(yeah it sucks...a lot) any tires over 35" are straining it. what do ya'll think the axles can handle that come stock in this truck. or better yet, what will not rub with a 6+3 lift? i do not know what the rear gear ratio is, i do not know what tranny or T-case it has. but its a floor shift case and auto tranny.
The plan is, 6" suspension lift (springs in the rear (do dodges havea shackle flip option to remove the stock block lift?))
3" body lift
Rims and tires of the size recomended by the folks that respond to this post.

this truck is not off-roaded hard at all. it sees city and highway driving....and ocasional trips through muddy trails. never rock crawling or anything hard core at all.
What brand of lift (suspension and body) do you think would be best for my friend? do you know an estimate on cost? and what size tires/rims?
sorry for the long post. i was just trying to get as much info about the truck to you as i could so there wouldnt be too much confusion.
a big thankyou to everyone helping em out on this one. i know i am a chevy guy, but we're all off-roaders at heart.

---Peacock posted this
<font color=red>'96, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train,</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 03:13 PM

Re: please help if you can

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Dodges are popular in my club as both tow vehicles and as wheelers. This is from my knowledge that I've gained from working on my freinds trucks and planning their lifts.

The axles in that truck are both D60s. You know what that means.

I think you can shackle flip it, not positive. If the shaclkle is in tension I don't see why not.

6+3 should clear 36s easily, and should easily clear 38s as well, especially if he doesn't go off road. One freind of mine runs 36s on a 7" kit easily. 38s should be cake with an additional 2".

I'd still stay with 16x10" rims, most 16s are skinny anyways so they should be fine.

Skyjacker double flex (?) has all heim jointed ends and should give a great ride. Single flex is nearly as good, doesn't flex quite as well but is a lot cheaper. They are both 5.5" kits, but you can add a coil spacer to the front for an extra 1.5".

Evan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Ugly Brown Truck v2.0 coming soon(ish)!</font color=green>

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 03:23 PM
diggin_pig

The axles under the Dodge will be Dana 60's front and rear and most likely 4.10's. With that big of a lift, most probably 39.5" tires would fit. The Dodge has tall, but narrow wheel wells when viewed from the side. It is unlikely there will be any trimming required as it is a street truck.

The V10 Dodge is a very strong motor - much better than the Ford V10 and should be able to turn the tires easily. Will he feel the affects? Yes. But it is a street truck.

The tranny is a Chrysler 47RH which is actually the strongest of the AOD transmissions as all the torque goes through the overdrive hub all the time. It does the same on all Chrysler rear wheel drive AOD trannys.

The transfer case is a NV241D. It has 2.71 low range. Installing a JB Conversions Fixed Output Shaft kit will beef it up quite a bit, but is not neccessary as the transfer case is quite strong as is.

I built my own shackle flip for my '95. You may be able to modify an Off-Road Designs Chevy shackle flip kit for use. I was able to remove the stock 4" block.

I personally like narrow rims: I run 15X8 rims with 36X12.50R15 Swampers on my Dodge, 16X8 rims with 315/75R-16 BFGs on my Blazer, and have 16X8 rims on the Av. Go with a 4" offset to keep the tires under the truck. That will also help keep the front bearings alive.

For what your friend is interested in, any lift kit will do. A lift kit that big will include new upper and lower leading arms and springs and block for the rear. Go with the dual shock option as that big of a lift will make the truck lean heavily when turning.

If there is to be any trimming it will be nothing more than what is trimmed on a GM. The front bumper metal is not much bigger than the chrome you see. The rest is plastic and is very easy to trim. The tough part for the front is possibly the rear of the wheel well. Dodge's do not have much fender there. Remove the plastic fender liner to increase some clearance if it rubs and is objectionable. There is a pinch seam that can be trimmed under the fender liner. The rear fenders may need a small amount of trimming.

If a full-floating front axle is desired, DynaTrac makes a kit to replace the actuator and hubs with full-floating hub and a 1-piece long side axle.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

dang, that was a quick reply. man i love the GM boards. thanks, Evan

---Peacock posted this
<font color=red>'96, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train,</font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 03:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have also seen 39.5's on around 9" lift. And you can buy a shakle flip kit, don't remember where?

94 GMC 6" superlift 3" body
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 06:40 PM

No, 2500's have D60 front D70 rear, the 3500 has a D60 front/D80 rear

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 06:42 PM

My friend has a 94 with 6+3 and 39.5 Mickey T's with no rubbing at all

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 06:45 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I think that tatertot[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] is right, now that I think about it. We thought that my freind's truck had the D70 rear, but later found out that it had a D60. Turns out that it was because it's a V8, the Diesels and V10s get the 70 though. Good call taternuts![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] (if you watch That 70's show you'll get that...)

Evan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Ugly Brown Truck v2.0 coming soon(ish)!</font color=green>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 11:15 PM

yeah...D60/D70 in Auto 2500s/3500s...

i would go with skyjacker suspension as well..i guess PA body lift, as its seems to be the most complete kit. as mentioned about 6 & 3 would clear 38s.

The Pair

Crank 'em 1" - measure first!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 11:46 PM
Old Hand

36's will fit on a 5.5 suspension lift, I have a friend with 44's on his 2000

http://www.geocities.com/supaflie/wxl.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode