120,000mile shocks? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

120,000mile shocks?

well thats how many miles i haev on my shocks...120,000miles. i havea hunch that they're not doing anything anymore. whatcha think? the question is...WTF...tehy sure as hell arent doing anything now...why not just take them off? is there anything wrong with that? i guess theres no reason to take them off, but its been over w eek sicne i've had a wrench on the old girl and i think she's beginning to get jealous of the new girlfriend...anda jealous female will ruin youyr life...and i dont want that. especially ebfore spring break when i have to drive down to florida...from michigan.
anyways, what do ya'll think about it...remove whats left of the shocks (they still 'look' good), leave them there, replace shocks with working shocks. and if ya'll say replace them, do you happen to haev any with a little life let in them? I"m a broke colelge student going o na trip to florida for spring break....gasoline and alcahol are not cheap.
thanks for the help all,

---Peacock posted this
<font color=red>'96, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train,</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 09:03 AM

Re: 120,000mile shocks?

I say leave them on until you can afford new ones. I had a rear shock break at the shock eye on my old Toyota 4by. It made an unbelieveable difference with no shock back there until I could get the new one (gotta love Trailmasters Lifetime warranty, I think I went through three sets of rear shocks and only paid for one[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]). Long story short, it may feel like they aren't doing anything but take them off and you will be amazed at how much they are actually still doing. Just my humble opinion...

'78 Chevy Blazer, not so beaten anymore[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img].
'61 Willys Utility Wagon, on the comeback trail[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img].
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 09:18 AM
BigBlueZ71

Hey uia4a....I have 139k on mine and I think i'm in the same boat you are...when you come up to a stoplight and there is a pothole where you stop, do you just kinda sit there and sway back and forth for about 10 seconds? yeah i agree with TX. leave them on until you replace them, even if they aren't doing "much" they are still doing quite a bit!

"CAPTAIN CHROME OF THE SPONGY IFS"
1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 11:53 AM
KCsmuddyZ

I hate to admit it, but I have 160,000 on my original Bilstiens. My tires don't cup, truck doesn't sway, the shocks don't leak, so I really don't have plans to replace them. I say wait unless they are really giving you a problem. New bilstiens are pretty spendy, but you get what you pay for.

1994 Chevrolet Z71-2" body lift, 305/70's, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 12:04 PM

mine are up at 139k as well. i say leave them until you've got the new ones to put on. haev you ever seen a car or truck going down the road with blown shocks??? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] its hilarious, it bounces for like 10 minutes even though the guy is cruising the smooth hwy at 70mph [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

The Pair

Crank 'em 1" - measure first!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input everyone. looks like they'll stay where they are for awhile. maybe i can get some chrome paint and get em looking new. then they'd work better right

---Peacock posted this
<font color=red>'96, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train,</font color=red>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 01:19 PM

yeah Chrome makes everything work better... your truck will probably go faster too! j/k

'78 Chevy Blazer, not so beaten anymore[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img].
'61 Willys Utility Wagon, on the comeback trail[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img].
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 01:42 PM
BigBlueZ71

ALRIGHT ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE CHROME JOKES paint them white to match your truck! I painted mine indigo metallic blue to match 'ol blue, they're now a brownish color though, dont see the blue through the mud and dirt.

"CAPTAIN CHROME OF THE SPONGY IFS"
1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 01:48 PM

oops, I think we hit a nerve... sorry Blue.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Speaking of chrome and shiny products...I just got the new jeg's and they have an aluminum steering column! IMO...that is SWEET!!! They also have a billet column shifter! COOL! Sorry I just got a little excited when i saw that and the thought of a "shiny" steering column. Just a little rant, I'm a fan of chrome too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode