O/T need help on 2.2L engine (head gasket) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

O/T need help on 2.2L engine (head gasket)

well a buddy of mine today went to get his oil changed be casue he didnt want to wait till i was done with my classes to do it. anyways, he came back to me and said that the guys at <insert quick lube/auto shop name here> said he had a leaking head gasket. he doesnt know sh!t about cars so he didn't know what to look for. Since he ahs brand new oil in it...i wont be able to tell a damn thing by looking at that. what else can i check to verify that the shop isn't trying to blow smoke up his a$$ to get his $$$$$$$ when he goes to fix it.
Also, how long ya think it'll take to pull the heads on it and replace. we're looking at taking it to the shop, but if ya'll boost my confidence, I think i might try to tackle it i ntghe parking lot. By recomendation of AJM, i will bag-N-tag everything. i haev enver pulled the heads myself, but i did once on a 302 witrh my old mans help..that was a couple years ago though. i would think this would be much easier as its an inline engine. letme know what you think.
BTW its in a 93 cavalier.
thanks for the help everyone.

---Peacock posted this
<font color=red>'96, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train,</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 10:15 PM

Re: O/T need help on 2.2L engine (head gasket)

is this a front drive or S-10? regardless, it's the same engine with the same problems. it if's front drive, look for coolant at the drivers side front of the head gasket area. easy to see. this is THE MOST common place for this engine to leak (ask me why? i've done at least 30 head gasket jobs on these) on the S-10's, look at the drivers rear of the head gasket area, may need a mirror. i usually do these head gasket jobs in a couple hours (yes, 2 hours)
if it does leak there and you need any pointers on making this a fairly painless deal, let me know
these engines require new head bolts too, torque to yeild style.
good luck!

when stock just won't do..............
power is nothing without control!!!!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input JBS. i couldnt see any visible coolant leak. nothing on the block or anything, but it was a bit dark. and i couldnt smell it i nthe exhaust so i dont think its burning it, but he said it is mixed with water...he doesnt know what ratio though.
its in a 93 cavalier...FWD. you think this could be a parking lot quickie? just have him get the parts and a case and get on with the wrenching?
thanks for the help man. i really appreciate it.

---Peacock posted this
<font color=red>'96, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train,</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 10:14 PM

i don't know about "a parking lot quickie" but i'm spoiled, i work as a mechanic in a nice shop with everything i need. but, in your case, you shouldn't need to get under the car for anything but change the oil when it's done. i use to do it in my younger days.
but, everything must stay CLEAN. you'd be amazed what a gust of wind can do.
to find out if there is coolant leaking (these leaks are always external, only seen 1 with a internal leak)
borrow a radiator pressure tester and pump it to around 15lbs and look at the spot where the head and block meet on the dr side. if a tester isn't available, take it for a little drive to warm things up. you'll know there's pressure when the hose is firm (no comment) then look it over.
if i can be of any help, let me know!!

when stock just won't do..............
power is nothing without control!!!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

alrght. when the schedule permits, I'll do as you directed. i nthe dark, when i checked it before, it appeared as though there was a leak on the D-side where i assume the rightmost cylinder is. but like i said, it was dark and i wasnt in much of a mood to be playing grease monkey. thanks again for the help. I"ll resurface the thread when i know more.

---Peacock posted this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode