IFS to Straight Axle? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

IFS to Straight Axle?

I'm looking at an ad for ORU '88-'98 Gm ifs to straight axle conversion. Are straight axles better? What are they good for, and are they good for desert running?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: IFS to Straight Axle?

If you have have to ask that question you don't need one.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
But, IFS might, be better for jumps and stuff, but then again it is not strong enough for jumping. So solid axles are only good for EVERYTHING except a smooth ride that isn't that bad. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

94 GMC 6" superlift 3" body
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:19 PM

It might not be the case that you don't need one, its just that you haven't been informed of the pros and cons. The pro's are many, Its cheaper to lift, cheaper to maintain, stronger to put larger tires on, flexs better... Cons, leaf sprigns don't ride all that well. Evan, AKA The_kid was considering doing a coil setup on his solid axle swap. Also you might be better off asking on the SFA board. Most of the SFA (solid front axle) guys probably check here enough to read you post anyways though.
Desert. You'd probably be better off running independent suspension for the desert, but thats not any kind of independent suspension that comes on a ford explorer, and its nothing like the IFS that comes on a chevy truck. Those desert trucks are seriously beefed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess ill look into a lift w/ out switching to a solid axle. Whats the best brand and height? Tire height?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 11:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would go with the superlift, well im shure you knew that b/c that swhat I bought for my truck.
Anywhay, it is very strong and it is not too expensive but I would say it is the best lift for the money. you can a 36x12.50 on 10" rims with this lift, well I could. I would recomend 35x12.50 or wider swampers.

94 GMC 6" superlift 3" body
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 03:38 PM
Drew K1500

There is a brand new Tuff Country 4" on Ebay right now for $775. Comes with free shipping.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610
Fly Your Flag, Support our Veterans

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 10:52 PM

for high speed desert running your best bet is going to be a long-travel IFS system. You're looking at a lot of money though, the Toyota long-travel systems are around $4-5000 if I remember correctly. I don't know if anyone makes a L-T IFS for full-sized Chevy's. So if may have to get one custom-designed and built. That could easily clear the $10k mark when you figure in man hours.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 11:09 PM

Yeah, California Super Trucks will build a niiiiice lift to meet your needs, as long as you meet theirs. $$$[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 01:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CST is so expensive, you might as well go with a SA. It will be MUCH cheaper in the long run! I like my IFS..... but i would MUCH rather have a nice D60 up front

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode