What to tell Midas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

What to tell Midas

Well, tomorrow i am going to yell at midas for messing up my brand new wheels. I got my brakes changed this weekend, and they didnt use the right lug to take off the lug nuts. They left indentations and scratches in my brand new two week old rims. They are going to get it real bad tomorrow. What should i tell them, and what should i say? Reimburse for the amount of the wheel of what? Or just refund the money of the new brakes back to the credit card? Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What to tell Midas

I don't want to sound mean but why didn't you do it your self? But if I was you I would be pissed! Sckratch your BRAND NEW RIMS!!!!!

94 GMC 6" superlift 3" body
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

I didnt do it myself cause i dont have much time to do it. If i had plenty of time, believe me i would have done it on my own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldnt say too much...if youve ever used an impact gun, you'd realize that these scratches are kinda hard to avoid, even with the right size socket.

88 chevy 1500, 3" body lift, 33's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:56 PM
Veteran

1st thing. Be polite, if you go in yelling and screaming it's not gonna get you anywhere.

2nd... Take a copy of your receipt for the wheels to prove to them that you have only had them for 2 weeks.

I doubt that they will do anything, except maybe replace the scratched nuts <---(That just sounds wrong [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img])

3rd... Don't ever go to Midas, Car-X, Aamco, (list your favoreite chain here). Most of those places have bad reps, but surivive becuase of all the TV ads telling your how great they are and have little songs that stick in your head.

If you don't have the time/tools/experience to tackle a project ask around freinds and family and see if they can give you someone local that they use/trust.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:56 PM
bigwishlist

Ive seen impact guns make dents/scratches in the nut they are taking off even when using the right socket. So I wouldnt go in the store and blame them. I would ask them why your nuts are scratched. And see what they say.

94,silverado,1500,Xcab,4x4,31x10.5R15 - 96 ZJ laredo 4x4 2"Lift,31x10.5R15 bfgAT/KO, k&n
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 11:12 PM
BigBlueZ71

Alright i'm not gonna yell at you for not doing the brake pads yourself and overpaying someone to use an impact wrench on your BRAND NEW WHEELS.........anyway. Probably not much you can do about ur scratched...er...nuts. Do you know what brand pads they used? Because if you remember I recently did a brake job on a 1990 ford bronco (yes, it was a PITA) that had its brakes done by meinike...or midas...I can't remember, anyway they had just done the brakes about 1-2 months earlier. And he hadn't put but about 1,000 miles on the thing, probably not even anywhere close to that. And his pads were SHOT, not to mention the rotors, it was horrible, I had to take pictures of everything I took off for him to use against them. Apparently he has had some bad past experiences with them, whoever he used. Anyway i'll stop rambling, but leave you with this, if your new shiny purty wheels start turning black just about every other day from brake dust, dont say I didn't warn you.

"CAPTAIN CHROME OF THE SPONGY IFS"
1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:19 AM

If they scratched your nuts, that's considered normal wear and tear. If they rounded them off, they should replace them because they broke them. If they gouged alumnium from the wheel, I'd make them pay. I've seen people make walmart pay for scuffed up wheels. The only time walmart got away with not paying is when the wheel requires a special socket and you didn't supply it. Special socket would include a thin wall non-impact type socket to reach into recessed lug holes. If that's the case (your lug holes are recessed) and they used the proper size impact socket, you're screwed I think. However I think common sense would tell you that you shouldn't hammer a metal socket into a little hole like that, so I'm not saying I think what they did is OK.

<font color=red>Nearly no mods...lots to come[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well man I can tell you this. I worked at Firestone for a while, and this is what they can/will do if you go up there being an a$$ hole about it. First off they will say prove it. Since you didn't watch them do it, or complain about it at THAT time not 3 days later, I gotta tell you I doubt they will do anything for you. If you said something then... yes something could of been done. But now they have no proof someone else didn't do anything to it etc.. I hope it works out for you though. Thats just what I have seen happen alot of times.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yukon,

I don't remember you saying, but are your wheels aluminum? If not, you would have a bit more of a chance that way too.

Just do like they said and stay calm. Be reasonable. Try to avoid getting in a pissing match with the 2-week employee you saw smokin' grass out back on your way in. Odds are, he's the freak who wrecked your rims in the first place, and it'll be hard to control the urge to shove his impact gun up his @$$. Ask for the manager.

Oh, and beware of the little songs about scratched nuts and dusty pads!!

HA![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Couldn't resist, sorry.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=green>'99 Silverado 2500HD ext. cab/SWB, 6.0L, manual, 4.10's etc. etc.- not even close! no mods yet!</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode