CB Antenna Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

CB Antenna Question

Was wondering what everyone thinks between these two CB Antenna's im deciding on. Either a 54" Whip Antenna, or the dual antenna's that get drilled onto the bumper. I think the bumper one's will look better, but what does everyone else think about this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 09:27 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: CB Antenna Question

i'm a fan of k40 antennas (because you can adjust the standing wave without cutting them). yours would probably look best with a shorter whip mounted on the mirror though. dual antennas "don't blow my skirt up none". it's just one more antenna to take off when offroading.

i think bumper mounted antennas look goofy. keep in mind just how long a 4.5' antenna really is.

i've got my 4.5' antenna mounted in my bed and it sticks up a long ways. you can barely see it in the picture below.

http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...2102/heap2.jpg

"You know you're a yooper when the only way you can balance your tires is by cutting off lugs".
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 09:27 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">WHy go for "looks" when you could go for functionality? Mount the antenna on the highest part of the vehicle in the center of the vehicle. For antenna I'd suggest the Wilson 1000, Wilson 5000, Mr. Coily or Predator 10k. The Coily and Predator I've not used personally but heard nothing but great reviews of 'em.

SET YOUR SWR's also. If you're not sure how, take it to a competent radio shop and have *them* do it.

Especially if you go duals (which isn't recommended on anything narrower than a road tractor due to cophasing issues meaning the signal more directional).

You should have as a *bare minimum* 2/3 of the antenna over top of the vehicle. Optimally the entire antenna will be over the vehicle. </font>

Tim "Sandman"

The one and only 'Sandturnip'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

So the dual isnt any good? I would like to do the bumper mounted one only because i would not have an antenna then on top of the vehicle. i dont like to get out of the car and bring it down every time i go in the garage or something like that

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:19 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Garage? What's that? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Yep I'd not go with duals. Just *way* more work to setup and even setup right with the distance you can seperate them it'd be quite directional.

Don't be expecting all that much range out of a bumper mounted antenna. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Simply won't get out much at all. I guess not much of an issue on the trail but it'd never do for me. I'm always in search of more range. I guess that's why I'm going to be upgrading to a $300 radio one of these days. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] For range you need that thing up high and away from the body...

You caught the part about SWR right? It's essential. When you have it on one corner of the vehicle the signal will be biased towards the diagonally opposite corner due to various things I don't have quite a grasp on enough to understand. Just know it does that. It's *mostly* noticed on longer range communications however *can* be annoying.</font>

Tim "Sandman"

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Well, i am going to go and look at some new antennas tomorrow after i yell at midas for messing up my brand new wheels. I got my brakes changed this weekend, and they didnt use the right lug to take off the lug nuts. They left indentations and scratches in my brand new two week old rims. They are going to get it real bad tomorrow

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:30 PM
bigwishlist

Me and my brother both have dual whips. Both hooked up and get great range. I have 4.5' whips mounted on top of the front bed rail and the whips on the Jeep are 4'mounted on the rear bumper.

94,silverado,1500,Xcab,4x4,31x10.5R15 - 96 ZJ laredo 4x4 2"Lift,31x10.5R15 bfgAT/KO, k&n
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-684513-dualwhips.jpg (29.3 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 10:34 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Just curious what sort of range you two get... And whether that range is omnidirectional or mostly front to back or to the sides? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Info I've seen if they're too close together it'll be directed more front to back and less to the sides. Can be better I guess in some situations... I like equally in all directions or as close as possible... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Plus do any of you guys ever try "shooting skip" aka making distant contacts (like the sort you have to hope the signal bounces off the atmosphere for)? I've done that a few times. Best skip was from mid-MI to a brief contact in Alabama a couple wks ago. I could talk skip way better if I had extra channels or an amp, both of which aren't legal to run... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 11:21 PM

Hey Bigwishlist, like everyone around here has their CB antennas mounted in the same place as you, only everone elses only go like 6-12 inchs above their cab.
and i also Recently bought a used Uniden CB from a buddy are they good CBs. I basically got it because my old-skool Cobra 29(which is like 15 years old) probly wont fit where i want to mount it in my GMC. ALso how much would a 54inch Whip antenna Cost they look awesome, mount it on my Rear Bumper. that would be killer.

'83 GMC Seirra Classic 4x4 w/ 379 C.I. diesel, NP 208, 10 bolts, 235 Wild Spirits, Turbo from a International 966 tractor.(in process of rebuilding)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 12:36 AM
SHOTGUN

I can sum it up in 3 simple short words

Wilson Magnet Mount

For you Yukon I would suggest the "Lil' Wil" series, and HAVE THE SWR's SET, by some who KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING! Do that and you should be fine, and I suggest the Lil' Wil for the reason the name implies. Its the smallest of the Wilson Magnet Mount Series also the shortest, but GREAT range. If you don't care about have a longer stinger(whip) smacking things then get a Wilson 1000 "The worlds best selling Antenna" (that's on a banner at my local CB shop) its bigger, longer(taller), and it gets out even farther. You should be fine with a Lil' Wil anymore questions just shoot.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode