95' Turbodiesel.......... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

95\' Turbodiesel..........

Ok, I found something unique..... A Half ton, Stepside, EXT cab Z71 with a 6.5 Turbo diesel. Hmmm, ya that's what I said. I looked at it (only 101K miles) and it's stock alright, I didn't think they came with a diesel in a half ton w/ Z71 package..... So what do you guys think? Is it a good truck? If I did some performance mod's do you think I could make atleast burn a little rubber I know it would be awesome on MPG...
Soooo, good choice? Bad Choice? I know it will cost more to repair, more for fuel but u burn less fuel... Errr. You can run big tires without messing your miledge up.....

Rice burner's suck! Go Bigblock!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 07:59 AM
RolngThun

Re: 95\' Turbodiesel..........

I knew they put the non turbos in half tons. A turbo 6.5 in a half ton is news to me. I no nothing about what the Z71 could have come with.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 11:56 AM
72dreamer

a friend of mine had a '94 diesel z71. a maroon excab. never payed attention to whether it was turbo or not. it sucked in the mud cuz it was slow and heavy.

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Yeah it has a turbo for sure, cuz I heard it and saw it. Plus the stickers
You mean it sucked the mud into intake?!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 01:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CodyZ71 I think he mean because the truck was heavy and slow it didn't do very well in the mud..... therefore it sucked. My personal advice would be to pass on that. Its alot of maintenance and expensive for someone that doesn't know the ins and outs of a diesel. But yes the MPG would be nice.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 01:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I think 94 was the last year they had smoke puffers in half tons

and exspecialy a step side shortbed Im guesing its been built Id look this truck over very carfully before buyins check for spliced wires under the hood what axle it has under the rear etc, Im always leary of other people projects, but if its all up to snuff then that truck would be great light wieght and might be beffed up in the drivtrain area to compensate for the added torgue, what tranny does it have look in the glove box for what gears it came with. probably 3.42s, ws it 4wd I cant rem what you said.

sounds like a neat truck

Evan

trucks suck
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 03:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A diesel's made to work low end, man. Made to pull. Up to what you want to do. Check out a company called Banks Power. They are deep into the diesel business. They make power packs that I have heard give significant gains to a diesel engine...mostly airflow management stuff.

Here:

http://www.bankspower.com/test_results_AC01.cfm

Still, you'll be able to climb a tree pulling a horse trailer, but shouldn't run the sand dunes.

<font color=green>'99 Silverado 2500HD ext. cab/SWB, 6.0L, manual, 4.10's etc. etc.- not even close! no mods yet!</font color=green>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 03:24 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

but shouldn't run the sand dunes

<hr></blockquote>

<font color=blue>Hmmmm Tell that to my dad[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. (See attached pic) Not much of a dune but that's still a big heavy arse Diesel Crew Cab takeing a ride[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img].</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Under 10k Klub[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font color=blue>
Note to RJ, BUY A FRAME BRACE!!!!!!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-685181-Truck.jpg (29.3 KB, 1 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 04:55 PM
blt2ski

Assuming you have an auto tranny, it's a 4L80E, if a manual a NV4500. It should also have a C14 S/F min. quite possibly a F/F rear axle. Many GM diesels have a F/F even with smaller axles. I have the specs off a 81 1/2 ton with a diesel 5.7, and it had a F/F RA. Hp around 170, torque 330 ft lbs, assuming a L56 which was put in the under 8600 gvwr trucks. If a L65, then it should have minimum 180hp/385 ft-lbs of torque. Fuel milage should be close to 20 freeway, mid to upper teens in town.
There are a few other things one can do to that motor to gain hp, if you buy it, I'll post that info. since it's a 95, you have a mechanical injection pump, with a rebuild etc you can get over 300 ponies and 500 ft lbs of torque, 400/600 with a twin turbo model, and still get upper mid teens for mpg, try that with a gasser!
Marty
ps, truck in 298's photo attachment wieghs 7400 lbs as equiped! 6800 with out tool box and rack, empty with a half tank of fuel. Who said a diesel crew cab can't fly! or at least attempt to.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Haha that is a tight picture! ((Makes note to himself not to buy anything from this guy))
Well guys I decided not to buy it, I found out that in the event of a new motor, I will be looking at 6000-7000 dollars for one.... So I DONT THINK SO! Just way to expensive to repair and mantain like one of you said, but the MPG is sweet and that 400HP and 600LBS of torque sounds even sweet!!! ... Say I wonder if I bought a Jeep beater I could drop a Cummins in it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode