Transmission Blues - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Transmission Blues

Well, I was coming home from the station the other day and my tranny thought it was a good time to give me some grief. I was on the last stretch of asphalt before I get to my gate and it reved up. Guess it no longer likes going into 3rd gear. It shifts fine until 3rd, for some reason it won't go in.....just sits in 2nd and stays there. I called the shop where I had the work done 6 months ago and they are going to give it the ol work up. Good thing it is still under warranty. I have a 15 month/15,000 mile one, and I have had it for 6 months/3000 miles. It didn't give me any problems before...it is really weird. The fluid level was fine, it didn't seem like it was too hot. No leaks underneath....everything looks good. I'm stumped....but I guess I'll let the shop worry about it. I was never much of a tranny expert anyway....prevention was always my cure. I really hope they can get that sucker squared away. I'm sort of "anal" about my vehicles and I don't really like the idea of having a truck with a time bomb tranny that may work and may not. Wait a minute....I'm thinking 2002 3/4 ton HD....crewcab shortbed....oh yeah.... Nah, I think I'll keep it for now until it proves otherwise. Anyway, guess I just needed to vent a little. Wish me luck....I may need it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 01:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Transmission Blues

a couple things it could be....bands from 2-3 are prematurely worn...fluid modulator isn't getting the fluid it should be, and therefore not shifting into the higher gear. Could also be a valve body/checkball issue.

Ryno

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Well, I talked to the guy this afternoon and the truck should be ready to go in a few hours. He said it was a stuck solaniod (was replaced with rebuild but was faulty) . He said that it was stuck shut and did not have enough line pressure to get the fluid into the 3rd and OD clutches. That's why it would just hit nuetral and hang there. They put a new one in and while they had it apart they inspected everything. He said that a couple of clutches looked like they had gotten a little hot so they replaced them, as well as some seals, filter etc. He said it still looked great inside and that he would check it on the dyno and everything to make sure it was 100%. Hopefully this will be the 1st and last trouble with it. Anyway, just wanted to post a follow up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Picked it up this morning on the way into work. Shifts great! Glad that's done.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TX, Be careful with this "repair". I do not think they fixed it. If the regulator boost pressure solenoid was bad, you would not have ANY gears, not like they said of the 3rd and OD. 3rd and OD are the easiest to apply (3rd being direct gear 1:1 and OD being 4th gear <1:1) These are the things that can cause th problem you described (this is out of the tech manual)
1) Valve body - 2-3 shift valve stuck, accumulator valve, 1-2 shift valve, incorrect or misaligned seperator plate gaskets.
2) Incorrect band pin
3) Plugged or missing oriface cup plug for the 3-4 shift accumlator
4) throttle position sensor
5) Brake switch stuck "ON"

the reason I am saying all this is because if what they are saying is true, then every direct cluth would have been smoked, not just a couple and all the steels would be trashed.

With all this be careful.....and get a second opinion when you can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode