Forum Use Guidelines. Feel Free to comment - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Forum Use Guidelines. Feel Free to comment

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I apologize for my initial outburst. I didn't intend it to read like *that*. For those who might not have caught *that* outburst, you didn't miss much.

Here is my new idea. Guidelines for use of the forum. After we get a list we can agree to, perhaps we should and/or could compile it into one post and make it sticky at the top of the forum. So come on please everybody, turn the flames off, and let's get back to ENJOYING this forum as it's meant to be. It's OUR forum so let's try and make it better for the good of all.

1) Be courteous and respectful EVEN when the answer is NOT the answer you wanted to hear. Also included in this item (#1) is the subject of maturity. Please try to have at least a minimum level of that characteristic. Just a little is usually more than enough. Please don't flame others. If you disagree, type out a calm, rational explanation of what you disagree with and why, plus what you feel the correct method/theory/etc is.

2) Use the search feature before posting. With nearly 80,000 posts on the forum, chances are unless it's a radical new idea, it's already been covered. In fact there's a good chance the question you have has been answered several times. If after searching for a short while you STILL can't locate the information you want (not specific enough, etc) THEN start a thread about it *or* make a post to an old thread to bring that thread back to the top for further clarification.

3) Keep pictures in your signatures under 10kb with an absolute MAXIMUM of 15kb.

4) Make or have someone make you a picture file that lists your stuff if you insist upon having that information in your signature. Please also see Item #3. (It should be noted that listing your stuff in your signature this way aids the search feature dramatically as you don't get all sort of false hits on threads just because someone had a keyword in their signature).

5) Mark off topic threads as O/T or similar, for sale threads F/S or similar, wanted threads as WTB or similar CLEARLY in the title.

6) Enjoy the forum.

Sincerely,

Tim "Lord Sandman"

aka 454 Mobile Saginaw Michigan (sometimes on the CB)</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Re: Forum Use Guidelines. Feel Free to comment

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Just bumping this back up to the top, I feel it might be helpful.</font>

Tim "Sandman"

The one and only 'Sandturnip'
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 03:46 PM
72dreamer

i can do that![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 03:54 PM

Excellent guidelines... especially on the respect issue, way too many people have been rather thin skinned lately...

'78 Chevy Blazer, not so beaten anymore[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img].
'61 Willys Utility Wagon, on the comeback trail[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img].
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 04:02 PM

Sounds good ! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
God knows I am not religious, but the old saying "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" (or somthin like that?)
Basically, "Treat people the way you would like to be treated"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Also for a long time I have thought (But never expressed) that we should have a "Tech info" section. CK5 has something like that.
But just agreed on facts,
285s fit on stock wheels.
IFS was on full size truck in 88.
grills changed in 94.
interiors changed in 95.
vortecs came out in 96.
10 bolts suck, and always have.

What do you think???

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

<font face="Comic sans MS">Yeah, a FAQ file would help. It could be included or linked to through the guideline list I think. Or perhaps just a link on the chevy page people can be directed to where they can come back and post more if that doesn't clear up their questions.

What's been gettin' under my skin lately is the topics that we know have been covered in depth coming up over and over again. Plus the people who think they're being cute or wise by either giving wrong info or making jokes/messing around in threads someone's just trying to get info from.

These are just my thoughts feel free to update anything I've said, etc... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 04:11 PM

The FAQ file is the first place I looked as a newbie before asking a question, but right now it only deals with the "forum" not with the "trucks"

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 04:11 PM

I'm not sure if this is even possible with the current BBS software being used, but what about an agreement that the person must read before posting? You know when they first sign up, before they can make a post they have to read and check a box saying that they have read and understand what it says and if they break the rules they will be booted? Like a software license agreement type of thing. Just put the basic info like stated above and some other general rules. This way, when we get someone like swamper, we have grounds for dismisal. Instead of just saying, we don't like you go away!

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I think we need to be *a bit* lenient with the rules. Like the thread that was here *before* this useful one that I had made. It was quite disrespectful. Just cause I caught the issues of the day when I wasn't in a great mood. An extra chance or two to rectify mistakes and/or make things right with the others should be given but other than that sure if that's possible I think the other forums would agree to it as well, as everyone would be covered by it. Sounds good to me... Keep them ideas flowin'</font>

Tim "Sandman"

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 06:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about everybody fills out their profiles...

One thing that kind of bugs me is when spelling and formatting are so bad that I can barely read the post -

Example: Id on't cae how difikuly idis for yu tor ead thid.

That is no exagerration. I've seen posts like that. Now I'm no genius and I know people make mistakes and typos but I've read some posts that practically gave me a headache. I don't even bother to read certain member's posts because I know it's going to be a struggle. How about some consideration for the reader...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode