Does anyone have Proaid throttle spacers? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 03:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does anyone have Proaid throttle spacers?

Are they any good? I have 2002 1/2 z71, just looking to make my truck the most powerful, non gas guzzling rig I can for the least amount of money. Any other ideas, good exaust system rec.?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 05:42 PM

Re: Does anyone have Proaid throttle spacers?

Aaaah, I see. Your looking for some of those miricle items. The ones that take 30min max to install and you gain 10 or more hp and some degree of fuel mileage. A few I have heard good things about is the K&N filter, Helix Power Tower (1" spacer that makes air in intake like a tornado), Good exhaust system all mandrel bent with a flowmaster delta flow 40 - or magnaflow muffler, headers are good if they make them for it. If you have an auto and larger than stock tires a computer chip can restore power through tranny management and it might even make some under the hood (have to watch out though - i've heard you have to run 92 octane). There are other items like whipple superchargers and 80mm throttle bodies, but they're pretty pricey.

<font color=red>Nearly no mods...lots to come[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

not really looking for a miracle, but I drive on average 800 miles a week, and every thing helps. sorry if I seem snotty.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 07:43 PM
Mud in my Veins

A K&N air filter, free flow exhaust, and some high quality spark plug wires would do the most for the least.

Chrome sucks
285/75R16, 255/85R16, & 305/70R16 fit on a stock GM IFS fullsize 4x4 truck when on the stock 16x7 rims.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 07:52 PM

No need to be sorry man, hell I'm sorry if I snaped at you. There's allot of "miracle" type products out there, and that's all people can/want to do to these computer driven motors. You just have to be careful because sometimes the miracle is getting you to pay $150 for an 8oz chunck of alumnium.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] What I meant by "Aaaaah you want miracle type upgrades" is "let me think if I remember any good ones".

Later,
KS2

<font color=red>Nearly no mods...lots to come[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 10:29 PM
KCsmuddyZ

I put a TBI spacer on mine, because a buddy at work claimed it gave him an extra mile or two per gallon increase. I haven't seen the mileage increase or a power increase for that matter. I think the best gas mileage increase I get is from laying off the gas pedal...my friend swears by his spacer though.

1994 Chevrolet Z71-2" body lift, 305/70's, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 10:39 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">With all due respect, if you don't "need" a truck for that 800mile/week average you might want a car instead, something smallish, efficient (used they seem to come at a decent price). [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] ~31mpg can be quite a bit different from 20 and below over a bit of time. Plus no matter what you do you'll never really get it much better than what it's probably at now... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Might try synthetic lubes and possibly pick up an mpg or two. Just my nickle...

If I did *that* much drivin' I'd use the truck as a toy and use an efficient mode of transport as a driver... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

The one and only 'Sandturnip'
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I agree with all these guys. In fact, I took part in a discussion on this very topic a couple days ago. Do a search on some of those topics too and try and find out what was said (oh my Gawd...I just jumped on the band-wagon).

Anyway, I'm in relatively the same boat. I've been off-roadin' most of my life, but only been researching the wonderful world of "upgrades" for a couple years.

The TBS is a toss up (along with another product called The Tornado that does the same thing and fits inside your intake tube). I've heard it works, and I've heard it does nothing but whistle. Plus, depending on whether you have a V-6 or V-8, installing one in conjuction with a K&N FIPK or other kit with a replacement intake tube will cause you to do some trimming of the fan shroud on the V-8 (the Poweraid people say flat out it is incompatible with such an intake...I asked).

Definitely an intake kit, maybe a new MAF sensor, TBS up to you, all sorts of cat-back exhaust kits and headers out there to choose from. Or, if you want to go further and cut and weld a little, some high flow mufflers are better than others in those kits. Even a small selection of high-flow cats.

Hypertech makes a power programmer that will re-program your computer as opposed to replacing a chip...it's more versatile. Plus, a couple years ago, they make ones that will optimize for either 87 or 93 octane depending on how you drive, and it does some other stuff. Extra tid-bits are using a lower temp thermostat (Hypertech makes a 160* and a 180* and their unit also re-programs for that), power pullies, and some other stuff. This is the same route I plan to take. Unfortunately, this is all book-smarts, but very soon I will let you all know how the K&N FIPK works on this 6.0L monster. And only more and more to come.

The biggest problem you will find is your truck is so new, but on the plus side, it is a half ton. That aftermarket is very popular, and you will soon find all sorts of goodies. Thankfully, I've been too poor the past couple years to do anything, so that gave me time to research, and the aftermarket time to R&D some cool stuff and catch up on the 3/4 tons. Like they said, with all the computers and even the stricter emissions laws, going with these 50-state CARB legal upgrades is all guys like us can do if you want to keep a current license plate on it.

Anyway, good luck. Check out www.performanceproducts.com

It's a very user-friendly site that lets you search by your exact vehicle type. By all means, not the end all out there, but a good place to start and get up on some of this stuff.

Elk Muncher
"We're all pink on the inside!"

'99 Silverado 2500HD ext. cab/SWB, 6.0L, manual, 4.10's etc. etc.- not even close! no mods yet!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would buy a car, but I am afraid, I have the bluest of collars. I work in construction, I need my truck. Thanks for all the help though, I think I am just going to just put a flowmaster muffler/k+n filter, and maybe some new spark plug wires if I feel daring.

Thanks,

Grant

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 01:47 AM

How's this for an idea.
You need a truck & you need to commute 800 miles a week.
Get a used 2WD mini truck (like mid 80's Toy)!
You'd have a bed & gas mileage in the mid to upper 20's.
They can often be found in fair condition for $500 to $900.
Good luck.
Angel

It says 'MEMBER'!?! I got yer member right here.

"When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed. Say something once, why say it again?" David Byrne (1977)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode