Power window problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Power window problems

I think my driver side power window motor is going out, but I'm not sure. It makes a binding knocking sound when I push the button up with the window already all the way up. Sometimes it doesn't even work at all like it's not getting power, but will work again if I restart the truck or open/close the door. Does this sound like the motor is going out?

This sucks. Just one more thing to add to the repair list and I have no $$. No more drive thru fast food for a while I guess.

90 Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 07:08 PM

Re: Power window problems

Does it clunk while the window goes up and down at all? Cause, chevies are known for the gear on the motor to lose a tooth or two so it has a spot where it free wheels and you sometimes have to help it up or down past that spot. Easy fix, just buy a new window regulator setup. 3 screws and your done. Can't buy just the motor though.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 08:16 PM
Mud in my Veins

Yeah, it's simple but expensive. The damn assembly is over $100, and DO NOT take it to the stealer. I did that a few years back, before I became more knowledgeable about mechanical stuff and my truck in general. Took it to this dealership in San Diego, CA, and man oh man, $200 some later it was fixed.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] 3 years later the window now vibrates when I drive at over 50mph.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Chrome sucks
285/75R16, 255/85R16, & 305/70R16 fit on a stock GM IFS fullsize 4x4 truck when on the stock 16x7 rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It a has a typical humming type sound and from up to down it has 3 short pauses in the noise, but the window doesn't slow down or stop at any point. Can I get the assembly at an auto parts store?

90 Z71
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 08:47 PM
Mud in my Veins

Sounds like your window motor is dying. Yep, the whole thing is one peice, and no, at least as far as I know, you can't get the motors anywhere other than a GM dealer. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. GM uses good parts for stuff like this, so chances are good if anyone does make an aftermarket replacement for this part, the GM one is still better. Quality costs.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

In my case, if I can find a 88-95 truck with manual windows and a tan interior, I'm putting the "door guts" in my Blazer. No more ornery power windows.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Chrome sucks
285/75R16, 255/85R16, & 305/70R16 fit on a stock GM IFS fullsize 4x4 truck when on the stock 16x7 rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode