Vortec 454 Exhaust - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Vortec 454 Exhaust

I'm getting ready to do an exhaust on the white truck. I'm sick of hardly being able to tell if the things running. Anyway, do you recomend till a dual 2.5 even though it's a big block or can I go with dual 3"? I'm going to run dual flowmo 40's. A true dual system.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 12:29 AM
Veteran

Re: Vortec 454 Exhaust

Jason- If it were mine I would go with dual cats and just 2.5" pipes straight back from there....no mufflers!!! Better yet than that I would much rather just go with one 3" pipe like in the stock location. I used to love the look of duals but not anymore. People ask me all the time if I have a 454 in our Yukon(now my dads...my old one) because the exaust is straight out the side like stock but has the most amazing rummble out there!!!

There are guys up here running 454 trucks with no mufflers and it gives a nice tone but not that anoying tone that a 350 will give you.

Speaking of exaust...I took the muffler off the my dually and now the 6.5 makes an amazing tone when I stomp on it and you can actually hear the turbo:-)

Ryan

1997 GMC 1-Ton Crew-Cab Dualie 4x4 with a 6.5TD
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Well, the truck has a true dual system, dual cats and all. It has dual 2.75" pipes that run back to a huge trash can muffler that has a single 3" out. I want to run a true dual setup with the outlets out each side behind each tire. Flowmaster actually makes a cat back kit that has a single 3" out. But I still think that would be restrictive for this engine. I was told the vortec trucks don't sound good with open pipes but that was with a 350, the 454 might sound good. I just don't want to go through all the work of building the system and having it not sound good. Hey, I'll pay for shipping if ya send me that diesel and your computer in trade for my 454[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Jason
Big Willy Style

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 12:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I might not be much louder if really any. when you just change the mufler out, un less you have really small cats.
I would recomend GUTTING THE CATS but no body listens to me.

94 GMC ?lift?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Well, I'm sorry but I live in California and gutting the cats would be like the stupidist thing I could do. And changing from the stock muffler to a flowmaster 40 series doesn't change sound? What you been smokin? I'm going to be putting in high flow cats though. And I'm doing a whole system replacement using mandrel bent pipe including full length headers. I'm just trying to figure out what size to go with.

Jason
Big Willy Style

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 01:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would say 3" duals. But if you like alot of pulling power, torque, etc.. I would get smaller diameter. When I put my headers and and exaust on I could definatly tell the loss of torque, But it more than made up in torque about 500-600rpms higer. Man that sucks you live in califernian.
BTW Every time I put an exaust system on any thing the cat or cats is the restricting part. But mabe not in your case.

94 GMC ?lift?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

But 2.5's juse seam so small[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. With the 39.50's I'll need all the low end grunt I can get.

Jason
Big Willy Style

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 10:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you done any other mods to the motor?

94 GMC ?lift?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 10:59 AM
Old Hand

Unless you have a good set of headers you dont want to gut the cats or anything...you need some back pressure. I put headers on my truck and I will actually gain more HP when I put my cats or a muffler back on. I have true duel exhaust with 2 cats, but no mufflers. Everyone tells me it is loud but I can't really hear it inside my truck since the tips are out the back. As for sizing I would get 3'' all the way with dynomax 3'' ultra flow cats. Put an H pipe in there some where too. Im getting one done for my truck, pretty cheap if you just ask for a welder to slap one on.

Is that a lift?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 11:21 AM
bigwishlist

Performance over sound is the first and most important thing. With 39.5" Tires you will need all the low end torque possible. I say 2.5" exhaust. Dont gut the cats and get good headers.
Willys are you gonna run ther tips out the back or out the sides aftere the reartire?

94,silverado,1500,Xcab,4x4,31x10.5R15 - 96 ZJ laredo 4x4 2"Lift,31x10.5R15 bfgAT/KO, k&n
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode