big blue painting frame - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 01:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

big blue painting frame

Hey blue I was looking at your post when you painted your frame and i am wanting to do mine also. I agree that it looks a hell of a lot better painted black instead of having that rusty look. What kind of paint did u use, how much, where did u buy it, and what kind of prep work was involved? Sorry for all the questions.
thanks man
oh btw i installed my zero rate lift last weekend and it brought some spring in my rear end. Also did the reverse
u bolt thingy and it took only about 1 hour.

Black Chevy Extended CabZ71 with 285 MaxxisMudders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 01:10 AM

Re: big blue painting frame

When I did mine on the black truck I used rustoleum flat black. Took about 4 cans cause I did alot of layers.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 01:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

did yall paint the frame under the doors also? And would it be a bad idea to paint in an open garage?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 01:19 AM

I painted them in the driveway. I painted from bumper to bumper. Just the outside visible side though, not the inside.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 01:25 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

A few years back I painted the frame and underside of the body on my 84 K-5. I degreased it at the car wash, and then blasted it with soap and water. When I got to the fire station, I rinsed it down again with the garden hose and let it dry. I went at it with a wire brush in the crusty places and taped off things I didn't feel like pulling off, like shocks. Had I done it at home I would have removed the shocks. Anyway, I went with a gloss black, figured "I wanted it to look better,and black, so what the hell, may as well have a little shine". It turned out good too. I don't remember priming anything, maybe the axles and diff cover if I did. It lasted until I sold it. I plan on getting after my 97 soon, now that the little rust colors are starting to appear here and there under there. I don't think you will have a problem in the garage....wouldn't try it if you have a gas water heater in there though. Just to be safe. Besides, overspray might get on other things.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you get some decent black undercoating, it not only paints it, but also protects it from rust better then just spray paint.

88 chevy 1500, 3" body lift, 33's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 10:49 AM

I used rattle can rustoilium gloss black. Worked well and sticks awsome. I took a high pressure steam ginny across it and it couldnt take it off.

1973 K20 - 350/350/205 Dana44 with large hubs/14bFF
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 11:00 AM
NEO

Hey Zoffroader,

When you installed your zero rate kit, did you have to but new, longer u-bolts? I ducked under my truck last night and it looks like I will have to buy some longer ones.

1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

neo yes i had to buy new u-bolts. the old ones had only like 1 in left but to be on the safe side i went ahead and forked out 30 bucks for the new ones.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 02:57 PM
BigBlueZ71

well I dont see any point in answering this post NOW since everyone else has. but to add my say in. I used "Krylon- Rust Tough- enamel. Gloss black. I first did it in flat black which is what yall saw in my pictures. but then I went over everything in gloss black. after a few rains the glossy shine goes away and leaves you with just a nice black paint. i'll go snap a shot of it a little later maybe.

"CAPTAIN CHROME OF THE SPONGY IFS"
1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-680873-103-0328_IMG.JPG (67.3 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode