Initiation - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Initiation

OK, rather than try and jump in a conversation about pussy or cool valentine's poems, I figured I'd do this right and start with the usual newbie question.

I have a truck blah blah want to modify blah looking blah some good ideas blah blah?? Thanks blah.

Seriously, though, I just found this place and figured I'd hop in. I bought a new '99 Silverado right when they introduced the new body style 2 years ago. Up until now, I haven't touched her your honor. Tired of waiting...time to get serious. All I've done so far is the rhino liner to help keep the elk blood off her nice a$$!!

I have a '99 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L, manual driveline with some of the extra doo-dads special ordered from the factory (engine oil cooler, engine block heater, 4.10 gears, limited-slip, low gear tranny etc. etc.). Basically, the perfect blank slate to start with.

Any of you fellas have any good advice for the 3/4 ton world? I really beat the hell out of all my trucks living out in the mountains and hunting all the time. Plus, my brother still thinks he can out-do me in his girly Ford Bronco. I plan to do some performance mods to gain some hp first. I'll worry about lifts and suspension and driveline soon enough (probably after I sell my last kidney). I'm starting with air intake stuff in a couple weeks and already know what I want there. Exhaust is next...researched it (like every other part of this project I plan to spend thousands on), but want to know what ya'll think. Probably a Hypertech Power Programmer after that. Any experience? advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Initiation

Let me be the first to say welcome to the board. As long as you dont like a juvenile you'll be part of the family in no time. You have like my dream truck by the way. So lets see, performance.
K&N Gen. II intake--personally I like it, some say it is too pricey
Exhaust--get it done custom. Pick what muffler(s) you want, and have a shop custom bend you your piping. Its cheaper than buying a kit, and you get to choose where your exhaust exits.
Hypertec--A good purchase, will come in handy once you get a lift and bigger meats. But will still make a difference now.

Keep the questions coming man, but just as a reminder, the "Search" function on this board will tell you a lot.

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 11:06 PM
Old Hand

Yeah, I have the Programmer, Cold Air intake system with K&N filter, and custom made exhaust. It has really given me a boost under the hood.

Fabtech just came out with an 8'' lift for your truck, large enough to fit 37's. Looks like a good lift, not too many parts, 2 crossmembers and a skid plate for the front diff.

Is that a lift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yup, I'm figuring this computer biz out pretty quick. Glad to know I found a kick a$$ forum. Some dudes seem pretty uptight, but lots of "old heads" (that's what we call the experts in my career field) out there too. I hope to tap a lot of brains along the way, and hopefully start actually providing useful advice soon.

RHS, thanks for the tip, and the compliment. The only truck I have ever and will ever order from the factory. It's gonna be a beast when I'm done. Won't even need a gun to hunt those elk anymore.

On the exhaust...debated the custom dual jobber. Got a buddy who did it on a '97 1/2 ton. Says he's borderline with the emissions police. I have 2 problems here: 1) I still need to drive this baby to work and the store, and 2) I want it to be relatively quiet for hunting. I'll obviously take some extra decibels if it means significant Hp, but not too serious on making this solely a back-road ride yet. Hell, if God decides to let me win a Harley in a lottery so I have something for the road, I'll throw on a Whipple supercharger and some home-made tractor-pull headers instead and chase those lowered Monte Carlo's outta the county!! Anyway, I have a little time until that project. I'll let you know how the K&N feels on this stock 364 6.0L.

Teal Z71,

Thanks for the back up. Nice lookin' ride you got there. Honestly, the Fabtech 8" is news to me....which is a big surprise. Heard of a company called Whiplash Suspensions? They seem kinda new (to my truck anyway), and were the first 8" lift I found for my 2500. Some good pics, too...I'll track down the sight in a sec. Might as well talk about it a little...even though the lift and tires are far off for me. Superlift was the first to make a lift for the new 3/4 ton Silverado, and ever since, I've still been pretty impressed. Looks like a solid system. Ought to fit 35" under there easily. I always figured that would be enough for me, but that 8" looks damn good. They obviously show their truck with a 4.5 inch body lift on top of the 8", which I may never do, but still purty.

Any pros? cons? Bueller?

Elk Muncher
"We're all pink on the inside!"

'99 Silverado 2500HD ext. cab/SWB, 6.0L, manual, 4.10's etc. etc.- not even close! no mods yet!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whiplash=bad. Stay away from them. To let you know what kind of company they are, they are in trouble with the law over some serious insurance fraud. Also you should be leery of anyone who runs a body lift over 3 inches. There are a few kits out for your truck that I am sure you know of. There is the Fabtech, one from Superlift, and I am almost positive Rancho released theirs a while back. Oh and I forgot to mention, if you get an intake, it will make a bigger difference if you have exhaust done too. With all that air coming in you gotta let it all out too ya know.

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Amen...you said what I wanted to hear. I didn't know about the fraud and all, but way too new of a company for me to find out about. That explains why their website advertised in my Petersen's mag isn't working.

Yes, those companies all make good 6" lifts for me. Anyway, here's the link with the only picture I've found.(I dunno how to slap the picture right here with my message yet, but I saved it).

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/chevygmc2.htm

You gotta scroll down to see the Whiplash stuff.

Elk Muncher

'99 Silverado 2500HD ext. cab/SWB, 6.0L, manual, 4.10's etc. etc.- not even close! no mods yet!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 12:08 AM
Old Hand

the programmer will put the K&N and exhaust to good use.....if you get one make sure you get a 160 degree temp stat.

click here for the lift http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/new/gmhd_pg.html

click here for the cold air induction http://www.airaid.com/200-112.shtml

and for your noise problems put some of these on...they look sweet, dirtbikes use them, http://store.summitracing.com/produc...earchType=ECat

Is that a lift?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 12:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes...I realize the exhaust will only help. All in due time. I'm sure all those intake mods will almost throw too much air down the throat, until I let her exhale better.

Elk Muncher

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 12:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Those diffusers were news to me....thanks!! I'll keep those in mind when I get to the exhaust. The other stuff I've already seen, but thanks. I'm actually gonna go with K&N and not Airaid I think (any beefs??).

You reminded me of a good question I've had for months. I'll definitely get a new 'stat, but I've been debating because it gets well below zero all winter long, and I end up miles from civilization hunting. Hypertech recommends their 180 degree one for very cold climates. No biggie since they're relatively cheap. If the 160 doesn't work, I'll switch....just wondering if anyone heard how these babies actually feel in the cold??

Elk Muncher

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode