Primer? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Primer?

I want to sand my truck down to metal and primer it. How much would this cost and how long would it take? I have a sandblaster and can get palm sanders. Any pointers would help im not really experienced in this area. Also some people tell me if I leave my truck primered it will rust quick. Is this true?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 12:57 PM

Re: Primer?

Well, are you goning to use true automotive primer that you have to spray on with a hvlp gun? Or just aeorsol primer? Big price difference there. Also, I wouldn't sand blast a truck body, if you hold over one area for a second too long you'll but a hole or low spot in it. If you can do it, I would media blast it or glass bead blast it. That won't hurt the glass windows like sand blasting will either.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well i have an air compressor and would want to spray the primer on with that but can i use crushed glass or walnuts in a sand blaster?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would NOT sandnlast it either!
You can easly warp the metal!
It will not rust if you use some sealer.
And if anything is fiberglass on you truck im shure you know not to sand blast that. Then again the only thing on my truck that is fiber glass is the bed.

94 GMC ?lift?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how bad shape is the body in? ususally, if you use a good primer and paint, you dont need to sand down to bare steel. Usually, all you have to do is using a DA (electric or air hand sander) and sand the entire body down until there arent any shiny spots left. Sandblasting usually will leave the body kinda pitted, and its not as easy to get a high quality finish, especially if you are doing it yourself.

88 chevy 1500, 3" body lift, 33's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

See the thing is i had a kid primer the truck then got it painted and the primer is chipping off so i could see the old paint so maybe if i and down the old paint real good like you said but what are the chances of the primer chipping again?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

as long as you sand it down real good, and really feather out any areas where the primer is chipping (this not only gets it smooth looking, but also being taken down this far, usually any paint that would chip would flake opff when you were sanding it.) having the primer chip like that usually means that a.) the kid did not sand it well enough last time, so the primer had no surface to stick to or b.) after it was sanded, it wasnt washed off with a thinner or etcher of some sort. be sure when you do it this time you make sure to sand it really good and to clean it really good too. a few extra hours now to ensure this definitly pays off in the long run.

88 chevy 1500, 3" body lift, 33's
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 02:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Epoxy primer is good for chip and rust protection but it's not cheap. ~$200/gal (hardener included)

When I redid my truck, I first sprayed it with Kondar sandable primer, sanded it down to smooth out the high spots, then shot it with epoxy primer, which isn't sandable. Paint over top of that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode