? bout what Oil Pressure should be on '91 350 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 01:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

? bout what Oil Pressure should be on \'91 350

Ive got a couple questions.

First is what should my guage look like in a 91 Truck. I was under the impression that the guages should be the style like is in the 88's with the "slides" style guages or whatever they are called. Instead I have analog style guages like what would be in say a 1994. Also I was wanting to know why my oil pressure readings on my guage are calibrated from 0 to 30 to 60psi. I have a buddy with a 1994 350 Blazer and his guage reads 0 to 40 to 80psi. Why the difference???? BTW i dont know whether my manufacture date would have anything to do with my guages but my truck was made late in 1991, Cant remember exactly but Im thinking it was made in July of 1991.

Second is what should my normal oil pressure be per factory specs. I recently replaced the sensor so Im 90% sure theres nothing wrong with it. Anyway my oil pressure when cold starts out at 30, and doesnt change hardly at all with rpm, pretty much stays on 30 to 31, then when it is warmed up the oil pressure at idle is typically around 25 to 26 psi, and under load and throttle doesnt really go above 28 psi. Is this normal or is it just because my engine is old (160K miles on it).

Thanks

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks in advance for the replies

Shane

1991 K1500 350 TBI and Reg Cab Long Bed. 5spd w/152K mi presently about ready to blow up. 700R4 soon!

1996 Pontiac TA WS6, Ram Air LT1, Black, Loaded, A4, No T-Tops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 11:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ? bout what Oil Pressure should be on \'91 350

If your oil pressure is stable, then it is fine. When the needle starts to fluctuate a bit, then watch out. If you have changed oil and filter regularly, and kept your truck in a good state of tune, then it should last you well beyond its current life span. I like to use synthetic oil, costs more, but is real slick stuff. Worth the cost if you want your engine to last longer. As for oil pressure, note that the cam manufacturers don't like high oil pressure, high volume pumps, or any kind of splash control such as windage trays. They say it can lead to pre-mature cam wear. Stock pressure has a lot going for it, including distributor/cam gear longevity.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 12:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ? bout what Oil Pressure should be on \'91 350

Ive been wondering about oil pressure on too on my 90. Starts out at about 50psi when it's cold, but goes down to 25-35 when warm. At idle in D it's only like 15psi though. My truck has 200k on it but the engine was rebuilt before I got it so I'm not sure how many miles are on the rebuild. I guess higher milage engines have lower oil pressure though.

Gallup, how much fluctuation are you talking about? My oil pressure fluctuates with engine rpm's, but stays pretty stable when cruising. Is this normal?

90 Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode