Buick's horn is FIXED!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 06:23 PM
BigBlueZ71

Buick\'s horn is FIXED!!

Ok, 1995 Buick LeSabre Limited sittin outside, the horn doesn't work. I do not for the life of me know what it is. Only other time I had a horn not work was on that old '77 280z I had, and there was a fuse labeled HORN in the fuse panel. WELL, i checked that today and there is no fuse labeled horn, or anything to do with a horn. I pulled and checked everysingle fuse and everything is fine. Anybody have a clue as to what could be the problem? I checked all he connections to the horns themselves in the engine compt. and they all look brand new, and well seated.

"CAPTAIN CHROME OF THE SPONGY IFS"
1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 06:26 PM

Re: OT- Buick\'s horn doesn\'t work, can anyone help

I know the horns in our trucks are connected with some wierd apparatus behind the cap on the steering wheel...pull yours off to see what I mean. I've messed mine up a couple times. The Buick probably has something similar, don't know how you work on it with an airbag wheel though...

90K5

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 06:28 PM
BigBlueZ71

yeah that presents another problem, has an airbag, steering wheel looks really solid like i can't get into it, and i'm scared something will blow up in my face if i try to get in there

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I could be mistaken but I believe those systems use a relay in the fuse block under the hood. Sometimes when they go out they will make a clicking sound when the horn pad is pushed. All the relays in the fuse block should be the same, so if you are in doubt about it, switch relays and try it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 11:12 PM
BigBlueZ71

Yeah I had willy's bring up some wiring diagrams for me, how he has all this stuff I have no idea, BUT. I did find all those relays under the black panel on the firewall, had someone press the horn while i was under the hood and there wasn't a single click. I think what i'm gonna do is bring it into the shop I use and have them do the oil and everything tomorrow, I dont have time to mess with changing the oil and everything. And i'll just have them look at it and tell me whats wrong, so I can't replace it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 11:41 PM
BigBlueZ71

Here's a shot of what I and willy's think may be the problem, if you can see those wires on the left, two are orange, one is green and one is black, willys says these lead to the horn relay.....

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 05:40 PM
BigBlueZ71

Hey willy's I pulled the relay, it was the second one from the left. I started proddi around with one of those contraptions checking....conductivity or something. i had it to where it would beep if i was getting current through. anyway, the only ones that beeped on the relay box that i pulled were where the BOTTOM LEFT and TOP RIGHT prongs are that you see there. the wires that match those are, black bottom left, and orange top right. does this tell you anything, none of the other prongs would beep when touched, no other patterns, only when those two were touched, is the relay good?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 06:03 PM

Umm, you were just jumping contacts like I said? It should have beeped when you touched the dk. green and the orange wire together. The Dk. green wire is the one going to the horn and the orange is the constant 12 volts coming to the relay. The black wire is what goes to the horn button on the steering wheel. If you touch that with the orange wire you should have not made the horn beep[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. If you found that test light, hook the ground lead to the black wire and the pos. lead to one of the orange wires. It should only light when the button is pressed. If it doesn't your button or wiring is bad. If it does, then your relays at fault. And you could always pull one of the other relays out and stick it into the horn spot just to check.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.industrialoffroad.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 07:26 PM
BigBlueZ71

IT IS FINISHED. apparently buick makes money by hiding another fuse panel way up underneath the dash on the passenger side! so yeah, the 15amp fuse was blown. SO the buick now has a horn. Only the passenger side is out so assume the drivers side horn needs to be replaced, but it honks, so we're good to go.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 11:43 PM

....mmmmmmmmmmhhhhmmmmmmm.........

The Pair

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode